Just got back from Lembeh Strait with my D2X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clive francis:
fantastic shots!

the problem you mention with the flash is listed as the main con/shortfall of the D2X, and reviews have said that Nikon did it on the cheap and could have used the mechanical/electronic shutter from the D1 and D70 then it would have been the dogs whatsits.

Thanks for the compliment.
I am not sure if this is a real shortcoming for most D2X user or for that matter other dSLR user.
Sync speed is a bit iffy. Most dSLRs will sync with TTL flash to abou 1/250s, some faster, some less. D70 will sync to 1/500s but only has minimum ISO of 200 so basically the same as D2X at ISO 100, 1/250s.
I am not sure what percentage of people who use dSLR actually use manual strobes much (beside underwater photographers). Canon is no better and if I remember correctly Fuji S2 will only sync in TTL to 1/125s or something like that.
D70 has the advantage of using electronic shutter so with manual strobe, as long as not all 5 pins are connected, you can shoot at the camera fastest shutterspeed if you want.
For practical purpose, D2X will manual strobe will do 1/320s and 1/400s ok but definitely not 1/500s without the black bar.
If you shoot with SB800, Nikon found a way around the mechanical shutter thing and you can shoot at higher speed ( I don't understand exactly how but it has something to do with multiple flashes that will light up different parts of the sensor at slightly different time or some other mumbo jumbo-but it does work).
It just make underwater photography a bit more annoying especially when you want to use really big aparture for narrow depth of field or doing sunburst shot.

Back
Top Bottom