Just got back from Key Largo....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fldiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so I took my family and some friends down to Key largo this past weekend. We stayed at Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort. The rooms were nice and clean, not the Rosen Plaza or anything but I was there for the diving and not the luxury rooms. I can say, I highly recommend this operation! The staff was GREAT! Capt. Dan and DM Seth were wonderful, my son had as much fun talking to those guys as he did actually diving! The boat is a 45' Corinthian Cat, lots of room and parked just outside yoru hotel room door.

So on to the diving. My group went out Saturday morning. Seas were 3-4 ft which had the kids looking a little green. Luckily we got to the first dive site quickly, before they all puked! Got em ready and threw em in! Our first dive was on the City Of Washington wreck site. 385ft of wreckage lying in 25-30ft of water. Vis was 100' and the water temp was 78-79f. As this was my son's first dive from a boat in big water, his eyes were the size of saucers on the way down to the wreck! We then had a LARGE CUDA show up, get right in our faces, hang around forever, he just wouldnt go away. Saw 3 Nurse sharks, a couple of 4-5 footers and one that was(guessing) close to 7-8ft long. You should have seen my boy when the 400lb Goliath Grouper showed up!! He couldnt move he was so excited by this fish. It came right up to us, swam around the boys a bit, posed for a few pics and then swam off.

After about 35 mins in the water, my son told me he wasnt feeling so well. We surfaced and got back on the boat. Within 45 seconds of taking off his equipment, he was chumming off the back of the boat!!! We gave him some crackers and water and had him lay down or a bit on the way to second dive site. At that site, none of the boys could go back in. They just didnt feel well they said so the dad's went down for a BEAUTIFUL dive on elbow reef. We did about 45 mins. in 25-30 ft, took some more pics and left.

Were gonna go back out on Sunday morning but the seas were 5-6ft and vis had dropped tremendously that day. 15-20' they said for vis. so we skipped that dive. I just got permission from the boss(wife) to go back next month with a few friends. We will be using Amy Slate's again and hopefully the same capt. and DM.

I posted several of the pics in my gallery. Feel free to go see them just remember, I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER and I used an OLD Sealife reefmaster 35mm that has been thru hell and back twice now.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom