Just got back from Coz/ heres the real deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good post Scubawife. :thumb: I think you're 100% right on everything you said there. And I may be taking my daughter's family on a cruise this year myself, so we can experience some tropical air and at least a taste of some port within budget. I get bored to tears on one of those barges, but she enjoys them, as will the rest of her family I think.

The lines make a significant long-term investment that allows improvements to the infrastructure and more tourism means more steady employment. You don't see Americans working to keep the cruise terminals in daily operation, or driving the taxis, buses, etc. Sad truth is that if the hotels in Coz were at 100% capacity for a week it wouldn't generate the dollars that two days of cruise ships brings.

Yes, I know all that is true, and I don't wish continued poverty on the islands and nearby mainland ports that benefit from the mega bucks poured into the cruise ports, yet - many of us would prefer to visit those islands without the impact of the barges nonetheless. Ever been to St. Kitts and Nevis, or Roatan & Utila? I'm sure the governments and businesses would appreciate more boat tourism and development, but I prefer St.Kitts & Roatan with little, Nevis & Utila even more with none. Only at the latter two can one hope to get a glimpse of the Caribbean before cruise ships. Then go back to St.Martin or Cozumel during a major boat visit and only wish you could have visited them before that started.

Industry or Sustenance Poverty? Pros & Cons to both. :wink:

Don, Roatan, Utila and the Bay Islands have actually been very actively bidding for cruise business for the last 5 yrs. A few lines have given them a shot but it hasn't really caught on. I liked Cozumel better before the 8-10 ships a day years, but unfortunately the Mexican government also recognized what it had to offer ...

You are right that there are pros and cons to both! And like I said, cruising like all parts of tourism, has it's good and bad. I make my living in tourism marketing & communications, mainly for the cruise industry and I'm by no stretch a cheerleader for it. But, I'm sure that if you pick the right cruise travel agent to work with you will find a ship and itinerary that will give everyone, even you, a great experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom