Just got back from Akumal & Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from 4 nights in Akumal and 4 nights in Cozumel. We're usually in Akumal in early Dec, and I have to say that the marine life is more abundant at that time of the year. We did our usual routine in Akumal - stayed in a condo at Vista del Mar on Half Moon Bay and dived with Akumal Dive Adventures. As usually, we were pleased with both. If you book and pre-pay dives and a Vista del Mar condo or hotel room, they offer a good discount package. ADA is a very laid back operation. We're never rushed through dives so they can maintain a schedule. We got in 2 days of 3 tanks. Lots of turtles, stingrays, a couple eagle rays (including in the bay in knee deep water), playful angel fish, large grouper, baracudda, butterfly fish and lots of other. Day 3 was too windy and rough for the boats to go out so we took an afternoon trip down to Tulum.

Day 4 we headed over to Cozumel on the ferry from PDC. The plan was to get a 2pm ferry but when we arrived at 1:30 we were told that there would be no 2:00 due to lack of passengers. So, we took the 3pm Ultramar Fast Ferry. Taxi's were lined up in Coz and we had no problem getting to Fiesta Americana. We had a "Deluxe Grand Class" room on the AI package. The room was a nice size, oceanview on the 4th floor. Next time I think I'd just go with a standard oceanview for a few dollars less. The food was better then I expected, but nothing great. Breakfast, lunch and dinner we always found something that we liked. The last night we ate at Miramar, the reservation restaurant, and enjoyed it. The hotel location was very convenient for a reasonably short ride to the dive sites and a quick $6 taxi to town. I'd probably stay at FA again based on the location, but I could do without the late afternoon pool side bingo, games and loud music which you can't get away from even on your own balcony. We only went into town one late afternoon. I'm really not interested in crowds or touristy shopping so once was plenty. Had dinner at Casa Denis and it was pleasant.

We used Living Underwater for our 3 days of diving in Cozumel and the whole experience was absolutley fantastic! Jeremy came by the hotel in the evening to get our gear and picked us up at the pier at the promised time all 3 mornings. The boat is fast, comfortable and a smooth ride. The service provided by Jeremy and Francisco is first-rate. Water, snacks, towels, jackets, help into your gear and even in and out of your wetsuit. Jeremy also rinses out your gear (including wetsuits) and has everything set up and waiting for you on the boat in the morning. The large steel tanks made for long, slow dives which everyone enjoyed. Sites were chosen based on what the divers wanted. This was my first time diving in Cozumel and the reefs were spectacular and marine life was abundant. We saw everything from pin fish (Jeremy is great at finding the really small stuff) to huge grouper and baracudda, with lots of angels, file fish, trunk fish, triggers, etc. We're planning to go back to Cozumel later in the year and hope to dive with Living Underwater if they are available.

Great report scubawife!
Also, thank you for the PM on Akumal and FA. You are really helpful!
I am going to take your advise in Akumal and try a tank in the am and a tank in the PM with the different Ops. I do think that it will be too big a haul to get over to ADA with all our gear, but we are renting a car one day, so I think that we will take advantage of it and drive our gear over, and give ADA a try!
Maybe we will see you in December...you never know!
Keep an eye open after the 21st of May for my report.
Thanks again!
Dd

Great report, We are leaving in wow 18 days for our first trip down there. We are also staying at Vista Del Mar and diving with ADA (prepaid was a nice discount) After a week going to Coz and diving with Living Underwater as well! Please if you will tell us about any other things you found to do, or great places to eat in Akumal!

Swarth, here's a link to a Restaurant thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=91016

You will have a great time with Living Underwater. If there aren't any specific sites you want to dive, just let Jeremy know what sort of diving you want to do (wall, patch reefs, wreck, deep, shallow...) or what you want to see and he'll suggest a site.

Just keep in mind that Cozumel and Akumal are very different. In Akumal you'll be setting up your own tank for the first dive of the day (the guys will switch out your tanks for the 2nd and 3rd dive, and bring it off the boat at the end of the day), and you will rinse out your own gear. Akumal diving isn't as dramatic as what you'll have in Coz, but the reefs are very lush and there is lots to see, including turtles and rays on almost every dive. You'll find the quiet and slow place of Akumal very relaxing after spending time in town on Cozumel.

If you're staying in a condo in Akumal, do your shopping at the Chedraui in PDC on your way down.

For info on things to do and see in the PDC-Akumal-Tulum area, check out www.locogringo.com.

Back
Top Bottom