Just got A720IS/Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG3K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been doing digital photography for a while, but I spent most of my time with 35mm.

The only "digital" settings I mess with on my DSLR's are the file and image size/quality.

I keep reading about shooting in RAW mode, which I am aware is a type of file. What is the benefit of shooting in RAW over JPEG?

If this is an extremely technical answer, an idiot version will do, I'm trying to decide if I should do the CHDK hack thing to my new toy :p

Congratulations on your purchase!! You're going to have heaps of fun.

Here's a quickie on the RAW/JPEG thing:
- RAW keeps all of the data so:
* you decide how to process the image
* because you have all the data, the image at the end of processing should be better with less detail lost in shadow and highlight areas in particular
* the files are bigger so it will eat more memory and take longer to write in camera to the card
* you need to make sure you have software that will handle RAW files
* it's not a license to shoot crappy photos :wink: you still need to get it as right as possible in camera. It does allow you to salvage a little wider range of boo-boos, though.

JPEGs
- are smaller so write faster to the card and take less room
- the camera has decided what to keep and what to toss; this may or may not be what you really want
- you can, on many models, help the camera make those decisions to some degree but it will always be tossing data and it will be making decisions that may be difficult to remedy later

RAW or JPEG - well, only you can decide which works best with your workflow. I know some staunch JPEG shooters who think RAW is only for those who routinely fuff up their shots and rely on photo-shopping. I know JPEG shooters who are very happy with the results they get from their cameras and see no need to shoot in RAW.

I know RAW shooters who just don't see the point of shooting in JPEG at all because throwing away data just seems silly. I know RAW shooters who shoot in JPEG sometimes, depending on their needs and conditions.

RAW can never hurt, imho, if you can deal with the slower write times (the biggest downside).

I don't use the hack on my Canon A series cameras. I tried once but I'm a bit of a dweeb when it comes to computer stuff and I couldn't get it to work properly so I gave it up LOL

I don't use JPEG on my dslr at all - if I want a jpeg I just hit a button in LR and viola I have the size I need for whatever I'm doing.

I've been doing digital photography for a while, but I spent most of my time with 35mm.

The only "digital" settings I mess with on my DSLR's are the file and image size/quality.

I keep reading about shooting in RAW mode, which I am aware is a type of file. What is the benefit of shooting in RAW over JPEG?

If this is an extremely technical answer, an idiot version will do, I'm trying to decide if I should do the CHDK hack thing to my new toy :p

IMHO RAW is the only way to go if your camera has the ability to shoot in it. It takes a lot longer to post process the images (especially if you shoot 1000's of pictures like I did in the Philippines).

As far as write times, they make cards now that write faster. I use a Scandisk Ultra II which writes pretty fast in RAW and they even make an Ultra III which is even faster (faster than my camera can use).

You also have to remember that each time you view (open) a JPEG, the image is degraded a little. So if you save your RAW images, you can always go back and have the original image.

In the end, its really just a matter of preference. I have dive friends that can shoot in RAW but don't want to mess with the post processing. Now, IMO their pictures are not quite as nice but it makes them happy.

So whatever you are comfortable with is the way for you to go. Just have fun doing it. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom