Just got a Dive Rite BP w/ a ScubaPro Wing, did I screw up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelRyanSd

Registered
Reaction score
So I did about 100 dives about 5 years ago, the Army took me far inland hadn't dove since then. I recently decided to get back into it and wanted to do it right and go with what everyone seems to recommend in the end, a BP/W. I bought most of it used, so I kind of pieced everything together as deals came up. I ended up going with a Dive Rite Backplate/Harness. I also bought 2x Dive rite tank straps. Upon placing the ScubaPro Wing on the backside I realized the "slots" don't match up. My question is, are the companies bp/w setups all different and kind of force you into going with all their gear. OR, am I only suppose to use one strap, not two?

My other question is, I noticed a little of grommet holes one the wing that mostly line up with the backplate, am I suppose to buy something that locks the wing down to the backplate, or does the tank strap do that?

2PFlVOC.jpg

00DbMaw.jpg

Do I need to find a STA that's length matches up to my wing? My backplate has slots for straps on them, but they are spaced a little farther apart than the slots on the scuba pro x-tec wing.

MichaelRyanSd:

You should secure the wing to the backplate with sex/mating/barrel bolts. If the slots for the cam bands on your backplate match the position of the cam band slots on your wing, then you do not need an STA. If they do not, then you will need to use an STA, as you will not be able to thread the cam band through the backplate and the wing.

From your description, since the slots on your wing do not match the position of the slots on your back plate, you will need an STA. The STA will have two bolts, each 11 inches apart that will hold your backplate and wing together. Manufacturers usually provide wing nuts or nylon lock nuts. Personally, I prefer the delrin fasteners from Deep Sea Supply, Dive Rite or Highanld, common called "speed nuts."

Choose your STA carefully. With double bands and 11 inch spacing on the bands, it doesn't allow much vertical adjustment downward, hence your tank valve may hit your head.

Can you extend the slots on the Back Plate with a Dremel? A single tank adapter would not be my choice.

If you prefer not to have the added weight and hassel of a STA (and I would not, especial with travel), sell the Scubapro wing and pickup a used wing that will fit your plate. There are a lot of wings that should match. Obviously DR wing but also Oxycheg, Hog and Vintage Double Hose should too. And there are probably others.

How do I go about finding out what wings would match? If I assemble this thing with a STA, would it go BP/WING/STA or BP/STA/WING

The other question I have is, all those grommet holes, am I suppose to have hardware as Ouvea mentioned to mount the wing to the bp, or does the tank straps do that?

LZ39VlP.jpg
HGhA2J4.jpg

It'll go BP/WING/STA and the bands will thread through the STA alone. You'll need bolts, washers, and wing nuts to attach everything together. Those should all be SS.

The only thing standard on back plates are the center mounting holes which are 11 inches apart. You will need to know the length of the cam band slots (1.5 or 2 inch webbing design) of the wing and their position. (distance between each other). Manufacturers do not advertise this. Hence, you only have guaranteed compatibility with a back plate and wing from the same manufacturer. Some dive manufacturers provide you the sex/mating/barrel bolts while others make you purchase them separately.

You could do as suggested and enlarge the slots on the back plate but I don't know if this will compromise the strength of the plate. The shorter spacing between the cam band gives you greater variance in tank position. STAs with angled sides place the tank close to your back as well.

Single Tank Adapter (STA) | Dive Rite

Single Tank Adapter in stainless steel

Scubapro X-Tek Single Tank Adapter

You will also note that some STAs come with cam bands, while others leave that option to you. I may be in the minority but I abhor that Scubapro Cinch cam strap.

Given the great number of plastic and "soft" plates in use, I would be hard pressed to believe that enlarging the slots on the plate to accommodate the placement of the slots on the wing would negatively impact the strength / integrity of the plate. Unless, of course, you do something really stupid. Just elongating the slots though, no issue, just be careful about burrs or sharp edges.

When you look at how full of holes this plastic plate is...

Scuba-Diving-backplate-for-BCD.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom