Just got 2 Worthington HP100s, quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm deployed and they're at home so I had my little brother look for a hydrostatic date on them and he was unsuccessful. Is it normal for these to come from the manufacturer without a label? VIP is May 2009 by the LDS. Got the LDS to specially order them so they're new.

I bought the same tanks from my LDS and they too didn't have VIP stickers. After 1 year they did a VIP and put the sticker on them. I asked about that and he said new one's didn't need them.

The VIP sticker is a scuba industry standard, not a DOT requirement. A visual inspection is only required by the DOT as part of the initial qualification of the tank or as part of the requalification every 5 years.

So, since the tank gets a VIP as part of the initial hydro test, a VIP has been done on it - at least as far as the DOT regs are concerned. The scuba industry standards are different and require a VIP every year, but they are not legally required.

Once they are made, tanks are then shipped to the wholesaler and then the shop with the valves off (although the tank will have a shipping plug in it) so most shops do a VIP with the sale to ensure it is still clean inside. Normally that VIP is done free with the sale prior to the initial fill.

I'm deployed and they're at home so I had my little brother look for a hydrostatic date on them and he was unsuccessful. Is it normal for these to come from the manufacturer without a label? VIP is May 2009 by the LDS. Got the LDS to specially order them so they're new.

There should definitely be a hydro date on the tank. Get out the magnifying glass and look again. It will be in the form of MMAYY with numbers for month and year. This is an example from an ebay ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=180354812502

The example did not work. This is the ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Steel-Scuba-Tan...temQQimsxZ20090508?IMSfp=TL090508121008r20167

It is the 3rd picture that shows the hydro date.

The hydro date on any new Worthington cylinders should be plainly visible. Unlike some other cylinder companies, they use nice big regular lettering for all their scuba cylinder markings...

I read the Op's post as the "label" meaning the VIP date/sticker, not the hydro test date.

they'll do a metal stamp with the new hydro date on the tank itself

Well, if your lucky.
On the fifth hydro, maybe there will be an idiot that would stamp your tank somewhere other than on the shoulder.
Then you can get a new set of tanks, on them and start the process all over again.

Back
Top Bottom