Just finished PADI Rescue Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archer1960

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
And it was fun, just like the promotional material said! I found it not particularly challenging, though a bit physically tiring on long tows. There were only two of us in the course, relatively inexperienced (27 dives) me, and a very experienced dive shop owner who is in the process of switching agency affiliations. I think the reason I didn't find it particularly challenging is that I have had quite a bit of water-safety training in the past, lifesaving and life guard training with multiple agencies, so I'm comfortable with that kind of stuff. The only semi-new part was handling issues with the victim's equipment (OW training taught me to handle my own issues) and using different techniques to hold on to the victim, and that's an easy thing to learn. I imagine a relatively new diver with no prior water safety training would find it quite a bit more challenging.

We did all the drills after work in open water in New England, so it was dark (though not completely, with street lights near the beach) and the water was cold (50F). At first I was a bit intimated by the conditions, but by the 2nd drill found that it added a bit of realism and challenge that a sunny day in Cozumel wouldn't have, without being overwhelming, and I enjoyed it a lot. The biggest challenge was simply the long tows that the beach contour required. It was a very gradual slope, and we probably had to go 30 to 50 yards just to get to water that was over our heads.

Good times, and I got a good aerobic workout in too!

I did my PADI rescue dives, about 24 years ago, in a limestone quarry in Denton, Texas, in cold, rainy conditions, which, as you said, added an air of realism. It was hard work, but mostly fun, and very rewarding. The skills we practiced have made me a much more conscientious diver, and gave me confidence to tackle challenging situations that I might have, otherwise, avoided.

Congratulations on another successful step forward in your diving career!

Congratulations! I did Rescue with CMAS instead of PADI but I'd have to agree with you that it was the most fun class I ever taken.

Congrats! I always urge everyone to stay at it and reach Rescue Diver level. It is just plain worth it.

Congratulations. I always advise students to get to Rescue when ready. I believe most of these skills were taught in OW decades ago. Two new OW divers diving to 60' as buddies always seems a concern to me (though of course I did it myself). What happens when one panics? Interesting on these Rescue threads to read how courses vary considerably as to mental and physical toughness. Now when you dive with a non Rescue buddy will you give any advice as to what to do should you need to be rescued yourself? I know I wasn't qualified rto do that, but I did just that. Someone in our Rescue course asked the instructor "Wouldn't it be safer for me if my buddy were a Rescue Diver rather than me (if only one of us were)?" "uhhh, yeah".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom