Just finished my PADI Open Water Diving Course. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thrilled that I'm certified now. I really like diving, and I would like to continue with it.
However, there is one obstacle: $$$$

I don't have my own gear, and advanced courses at my local dive shop is $299 for 5 courses + $59 for gear rental each time.

So I was wondering if you pros can help this newbie out with these questions:

a) What is the cheapest way to purchase an entire set of scuba gear, from the fins and masks to the BCD, regs, tanks etc? From what I hear, dive shops jack up their prices to astronomical amounts. It's better to get it online. Which sites are your guys's favourites? I can get stuff shipped to US no problem, so US sites are fine too, especially if they're cheaper!

b) Am I experienced enough to follow other pros on their open water dives, assuming they'll have me, or should I take more lessons?

Cheers!

First, congrats on getting certified! As for the gear - I personally prefer to purchase through my LDS as they're very competitively priced. With that said, I have recently purchased a new reg from divegearexpress.com since my LDS doesn't carry the reg I was looking for and wasn't able to order it for me.

As for your experience level and going out on dives with others, go for it! You got certified for a reason so go out and do it! I would recommend being up front about your experience level with whomever you dive with but by all means get out there and dive.

Another good option for you might be to join a local dive club. My LDS sponsors a dive club and I found it a great way to learn more and dive more. In my case, I was able to find some reliable dive buddies who are near my experience level. I was also able to connect with some folks who are much more advanced than I am and can help me to fine tune my skills.

In a word: gradually.

You don't know what works for you or not or if you will stay in the sport (regardless of how you feel now).

Start buying the basics after you have tried out some different gear: mask, fins.
Then the exposure protection (you probably want to talk to a few about the pros and cons of drysuits.) Going straight to a drysuit will save you money but there is a learning curve. Regs next. Tanks are last (in my list at least)

Where you buy is up to you. Note that most LDS's should be willing to come close (10%-15%) to online and thats good enough for me given that they are a valuable resource for gear service and expertise. Yes, I buy off the net but I truly try to walk the line of patronizing the LDS's, where I live, as well. Sometimes I pay more at the LDS but it balances out in the end. (Guess who you are going to talk to the first time you need help with some item you bought off the net: the LDS.) Its good to have some good will established before hand. Recognize that they are a business to earn a living, like we all are. They don't expect you to buy only from them (at least not the reasonable ones) but they do like you to give them a shot. Masks, fins are a good start with the LDS. Its important to get sizing on a drysuit (if you go that route) and buying online is tricky unless you go for the 'universal sized' items like the Fusion. Wetsuits need to be pretty much exact, the thicker they are. Again: LDS.

Experience? Again, patience and gradual stretching of your personal limits, within your training limits, by diving with other experienced divers is exactly the way to do this. Certs don't make you a better diver: diving makes you a better diver. Diving is a small community and if you are a half-way nice person, other divers will have no issue with taking you on your initial dives.

Consider buying at least some of your gear used. Things like fins, masks, gloves and boots can be very good buys. BCs can be, as well, although you have to be sure that everything on them is working. Regulators are probably the least attractive as a used purchase, because you really should get any reg you buy serviced before you use it, which will add $100 or more to the purchase price. Exposure protection can be a very good buy used, depending on what you buy and how handy you are. Used dry suits sell at a TREMENDOUS discount from new, but may require minor repairs or seal replacement (which is a fairly easy DIY). On the other hand, a dry suit with a failing zipper is not a bargain unless it's dirt cheap, since the zipper replacement will cost you 3 or $400.

At any rate, a lot of divers take up the sport and leave it, and gear is for sale on Craig's List, on ScubaBoard, on eBay and elsewhere all the time. Do your homework and know what things cost new, and then do your shopping. (It's a good idea to talk to a knowledgeable friend before buying, though -- some brands are discontinued or cannot be serviced.)

Congrats on your OW :D

Like others have said, buy what you can afford either used or at your LDS. Take the time to talk to your LDS and let them know your financial situation and your goals. They may have other customers looking to upgrade, and that be a way for you to buy their used gear. This is a win for both you and the LDS.

As for the advanced courses, take some time to get comfortable as an OW diver before taking too many classes. Your comfort level and experience will make the courses easier and more fun down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about just diving. Is there a local lake or quarry near by? Try divebuddy.com and find someone to buddy with. Your first "on your own" dive can be to the same platforms you trained on, just find a someone to go with. Your buddy can be a newbie too, it will make you both feel like a real diver. One nice thing about going to a training, local dive site, is that there will be instructors and other divers there. The thing about experienced divers is they seem to love to give advice, pointers and tips. On my first "on my own" dive we met a DM that actually asked to dive with us (he was on his own), and he made me lead! Talk about feeling like a real diver.

I don't have my own gear, and advanced courses at my local dive shop is $299 for 5 courses + $59 for gear rental each time.

That DEFINITELY takes the record for the highest I've ever heard. $600 for advanced? That takes 1st by a very, very wide margin. I don't even want to know what they charged for Open Water :shakehead:

That DEFINITELY takes the record for the highest I've ever heard. $600 for advanced? That takes 1st by a very, very wide margin. I don't even want to know what they charged for Open Water :shakehead:

The course price should be considered separate from the gear. For AOW, that's not much, IMO. And when the OP says "gear rental each time" that's quite possibly two times, or even one time if he did AOW over a single weekend... There's not enough information there to give the shakey face, maybe that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom