just finished my open water cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to read some info on DIR and see what the gear looks like there are some pics at www.gue.com.

Although DIR gear configureation is used moslty by technical divers it can also be used for your recreational open water diving. The backplate/harness/ and wing is very comfortable. You will never need to get new gear again aside from maybe replaces the webbing on the harness after a couple of hundred dives in it, but that's only $28 worth of webbing. There are no pockets on a harness like on a jacket style BC, but I have solved this problem by sewing (some use glue) a pocket to the thigh of my wetsuit. My gear is very streamlined, nothing dangles. The more streamlined you are the more efficiently you can move thru the water (no drag). Even my 13 year old dive buddy from this weekend dives a backplate and wing. And down the road if you decide to get into diving with double tanks for wreck diving or any kinda tech diving you can use the same gear just with a bigger wing.

As far as other gear. I have the Apeks DS-4 and TX-50 regs that I got at www.diveinn.com.

I don't use a dive computer. I just have a dive watch that also has a stop watch feature on it and a Uwatec bottom timer. All a bottom timer does is keep track of your depth, bottom time, max depth, and surface interval, actually mine also does ascent rates, and it logs up to 9 dives. Kinda like a dive comouter in guage mode.

Hope this helps you out some. And don't forget to log your dives. In 50 years it will be nice for you to be able to look back and remember your dives in Cuba from your notes in your log.

CONGRATS!! I'm am sure you will enjoy it!! :balloon: :)

Kayla:)

A wing is a bouyancy compensator component designed to be used with a backplate and harness. Have a look at the Halcyon website for some pictures - they are one of the more popular backplate/wing manufacturers. They distribute wings designed specifically for either single or double tank diving. I personally own one of their 36lb Pioneers wings for single tanks.

Halcyon like to call them "Multifunction Compensators", or MCs, instead of BCs. The term hasn't really taken off :)

Back
Top Bottom