Just Dive or get PADI AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlpenman1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be in Playa Del Carmen for 8 days in September and was considering getting my PADI AOW while there. I know I can get a dive package or do my Advance cert for about the same price. I was wondering if that was a good idea or if I should just do my Advanced cert at home?

The AOW is for the most part just diving. You'll have to fill out knowledge reviews but you can do those before you go. Other than that you'll have to do 5 dives of which you'll do a deep dive, navigation dive and night dive. The other two are optional adventure dives (the operation will pick what the other two are).

I would say go for the AOW if the price is basically the same. Just make sure you get the book in advance and have the operator let you know what sections they want you to cover in the book.

Do it at home in the conditions of your more challenging diving. The environments are like night & day. Go enjoy your vacation.

In fact if you are closer to zero dives than 24, do neither. Put your energy into diving within your training.

Pete

As is said in response to just about every question about instruction -- IT IS THE INSTRUCTOR that makes the difference. That is true for OW, Cave or, yes, AOW.

Me, I wouldn't just grab an unknown instructor for my AOW, or any, class. This, btw, is the voice of experience since I did grab just "any old instructor" for my OW and then AOW class.

IF you know some good instructor's in your area, stick with them. Go to Coz and just have fun.

I would say that doing AOW as soon as youre ready is probably whats going to give you the most out of it. However, if you usually dive tougher conditions than PDC (chances are very high that you do), take AOW where you usually dive. It will also be likely to give you the best information on the types of diving youll be likely to do most of.
The AOW class is by no means "advanced" but its an "advancement" from the basic OW class.

i think you've got to consider what your purpose would be in getting the aow. are you doing it only as a pre-req to taking other classes later? are you doing it in order to become a better diver? are you doing it to attain better training/skills?

that said, i got my aow training early in my diving career because i wanted to get as much training as i can--so that all my future dives will be as safe as possible. however, i still recognize that i need to continue practice diving as much as possible in order to have the skills become instinctual.

For the money you are going to spend (assuming you are comfortable with diving) I would probably go with the dive package. You can relax a bit more and enjoy the dives while on vacation, and most likely will get quite a few more dives for your dollar.

Then, when you're home and looking for a bit of an escape, it gives you an additional opportunity to get the gear out and work on your skills.

Having just come from Cozumel recently, I would recommend doing your AOW at home. That is what I did and just enjoyed my vacation dives. Plus it gives you a chance to work on your skills at home more and not worry that you are missing something on vacation. Plus as previously mentioned you want to be comfortable with your instructor. I would personally do it before you go to really trim out your gear and buoyancy so you will be more comfortable diving with the current in PDC.

Brian

I would recommend doing your AOW while there because a lot of the most interesting dives in the Carribean/Mexico require the AOW cert before they even let you off the boat. From what I hear, getting your AOW is just like doing dives anyway, so think about it. You're guaranteed 5 dives with the course and you'll be doing them in good visability and in warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom