Just curious-Do you fill your own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what about liability selling air to others?

did you get any insurance for that? (you know, standard issue of a diver has an accident and his widow sues everyone, including the guy who filled his tanks. Or claimed you gave him "bad air".)

Trust those that you sell air too. This has been asked many times. There is no true way around it.

Trust those that you sell air too. This has been asked many times. There is no true way around it.
Sure there is.

I have them sign a 32 page waiver initialled on every page, absolving me, my relatives, freinds, known associates, high school classmates, both ex-wives, Bob (my goldfish) and the counter person at Starbucks who provides my coffee fix of everything up to and including criminal negligence. The waiver must be copied and signed in triplicate, witnessed by two other unrelated people, notorized and then filed with the clerk of courts office for every tank that is filled. I also require my own visual inspection prior to each fill and I have a separate waiver process for nitrox fills. There is then a background check and a mandatory 5 day "cooling off" period to ensure they do not use the gas in a fit of passionate rage. The VIP's are admittedly inconvenient, but the back ground check is good for a whole year.

I don't worry too much about getting sued now, but I have noticed business has been pretty slow since I adopted the new policy.

Sure there is.

I have them sign a 32 page waiver initialled on every page, absolving me, my relatives, freinds, known associates, high school classmates, both ex-wives, Bob (my goldfish) and the counter person at Starbucks who provides my coffee fix of everything up to and including criminal negligence. The waiver must be copied and signed in triplicate, witnessed by two other unrelated people, notorized and then filed with the clerk of courts office for every tank that is filled. I also require my own visual inspection prior to each fill and I have a separate waiver process for nitrox fills. There is then a background check and a mandatory 5 day "cooling off" period to ensure they do not use the gas in a fit of passionate rage. The VIP's are admittedly inconvenient, but the back ground check is good for a whole year.

I don't worry too much about getting sued now, but I have noticed business has been pretty slow since I adopted the new policy.

Wow, sounds just like my LDS did when I wanted to get 50% and O2 tanks filled. :eyebrow:

just curious...

what about liability selling air to others?

did you get any insurance for that? (you know, standard issue of a diver has an accident and his widow sues everyone, including the guy who filled his tanks. Or claimed you gave him "bad air".)

just curious and a pretty valid question.

You can trust the guy you sell the air too.... but his widow won't be as forgiving and neither will her lawyer.

like you said.... no true way around it.

but one of the reasons I quit loaning my spare tanks out to folks. I had no way to protect myself from the possible liability consequences.

I have them sign a 32 page waiver initialled on every page, absolving me, my relatives, freinds, known associates, high school classmates, both ex-wives, Bob (my goldfish) and the counter person at Starbucks who provides my coffee fix of everything up to and including criminal negligence. The waiver must be copied and signed in triplicate, witnessed by two other unrelated people, notorized and then filed with the clerk of courts office for every tank that is filled. I also require my own visual inspection prior to each fill and I have a separate waiver process for nitrox fills. There is then a background check and a mandatory 5 day "cooling off" period to ensure they do not use the gas in a fit of passionate rage.

Even THAT won't save you from those scumbags we call "lawyers."

Thanks for the replies. We may decide to do this, but will be careful.

Between the 3 of us, it may be worth it.

Having my own fill station is something that I want to go eventually but after reading a couple of threads, I am thinking it's best for me to wait. This thread was helpful, and when Doc Harry asked the OP, "What is your budget for a compressor? Plan to spend twice that when it's all said and done." made me step back into reality and think about what I wanted and when I wanted it. It's not too bad though, it just gives me a few more months if not a year to get my ducks in a better row and snoop out those great deals.

How many divers have a compressor and fill their own tanks?

Do my own blending/filling but the compressor is at my LDS

Back
Top Bottom