Just completed OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob - I had a problem dropping my mask a couple of time in the pool and during my Open Water sessions (luckily we were just entering the water and it was only about 4' deep where I dropped my mask). Anyway - I added a small metal spring-clip to one of the D rings on the chest strap of my BC - now when I walk into the water w/fins in hand - I have my mask 'clipped' to my BC for easy location. Once I get my fins on - I'm good to go. BTW - I do not like the feeling of the mask around my neck - so this clip arrangement also allows me to take off my mask at the surface w/o appearing to be a 'distressed diver' - planting it on top of my head)

I also recently picked up a large spring clip to hang from the D ring off my right hip - so I can hang my fins there when climbing up onto shore. I haven't tried this arrangement out yet - but our DM utlizied this set up during my OW dives - and it seemed to work out well.

It is good to know I am not the only one that doesn't like to wear his mask around his neck. Of course for me the discomfort is mostly due to the reminders of the days when my parents hung pork-chops around my neck to get the neighborhood dogs to play for me.

I don't mind them on my forehead but many think that is a supposed to mean I am in trouble. I for one am not going to be in the middle of an emergency and think "gosh I should put my mask on my forehead"

I can understand the potential for them to slip off and that makes sense but as a warning of a problem it makes little or no sense.

Sometimes I clip it only my BC too. One disadvantage of having to wear glasses is that I got custom lenses in my mask so I could see better underwater, but when they are clipped on my bc my eyesite isn't that good.

I am affraid one day I will be swimming towards the boat and not notice that my "new" dive buddy is grey and has a dorsal fin and mighty sharp teeth or that the water around me is red!

and welcome Scubabob, from the little rock in the pacific (aka Guam). After Hawaii, hop on a plane and come for a visit (only a 7 hour flight...not TOO bad! hehe)

BTW...great idea to clip the mask onto the BC. I've had trouble (especially on night dives) juggling fins, mask and lights. Didn't lose any..yet! But give me time and I would have. Gotta try that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom