Just Certified... Where to Dive in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saoirse

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all... My husband and I will be open water certified by the end of July and are thinking about planning a dive trip to Mexico in mid-August. We are, of course, overwhelmed by the choices. Does anyone have a suggestion for a great site, a well-equipped shop (we'll have to rent everything but snorkel, fins, mask), with DMs who will take our newbieness into consideration (read: hold our hands), where we can stick to about 10-15 meters (30-40 feet) max and see lots of great marine life? I know it's a lot to ask, but I guess you were all new once. We're training at a PADI 5-star in NJ, but I think our check out dives will be zippo visability in about 20 feet. So this trip will be our first tropical experience and I'd love to be wowed.

Thanks a million...
Saoirse

One of the obvious choices is Cozumel. Columbia Shallows (10'-30') is a great dive with lots of coral formations and a variety of marine life. I dove there with Dive with Martin this April (at this point, I had less than 30 logged dives). Small boats, attentive divemasters and great prices when booking their online packages. Coz also offers a variety of dive shops and many other locations that fit the criteria in your post.

Best wishes and I hope you enoy Mexico!

For the greatest variety and highest number of near by dive sites I think Cozumel is it.

It's drift diving but don't let that be of any concern. I can't address your rental gear question.

For dive operators, our 1st choice is Blue XT Sea. Others frequently mentioned here are Aldora, Living Underwater, Dive with Martin and Scuba w/ Alison. Those are all that come to mind yet I know there are others I failed to mention.

You can dive shallow or very, very deep around Coz. Finding a shop that would take you to shallow sites only might be difficult anywhere you go but then I really don't know because I've never asked.

My recommendation would be to call two, three or four operators and ask them your questions. They'll tell you about their regs, BC's and suits - brands and etc - and how they go about choosing the dive sites. Then go with the one whose answers you liked best.

Go to the Cozumel forum and you'll find more info.

We got certified in Sep 2004 then didn't dive again until April 2007. We took a refresher course and headed to our favorite resort on the Yucatan, Aventura Spa Palace (no kids), about 50 miles south of Cancun airport (Palace Resorts - Welcome to the Official Site).

We went diving with Dive Aventuras in Puerto Aventuras, five minutes south of the hotel. Dive Aventuras Mexico scuba diving vacation packages Puerto Aventuras The boat rides were only 5-10 minutes long and as noobies they were great dives in the 30-60 foot range. We even did two dives in the cenotes one day. The dives were all perfect for our extreme novice stage and they went out of their way to ensure we had a great time. We liked them because there really weren't any dives that would tempt us beyond our most basic capabilities. We came back from that trip and got our AOW.

We were glad we went the route we did because we realize now the diving we did off the Yucatan was fairly vanilla. Since that trip to the Yucatan we've done two trips to Cozumel. The 80 fsw, coral tower and swim through diving in Cozumel is incredible. We were more relaxed and could enjoy it more having done the Yucatan vanilla dives and our AOW first.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies and suggestions. I can't wait to get out there!

Saoirse

All are very good suggestions for dive resorts. It depends on what you are looking for....

I would say Coz is a bit much for newly certified divers. PDC is a great area for being at the center of things. Cancun has good diving and night life, depending on if you are into partying after hours. Since you are newly certified, cenotes are out. Shallow reefs and mild drift dives are very nice to get your water wings sorted out. Also, you will see the most marine life on shallower dives.

If you choose the PDC area, I agree 100% with Noboundries. Dennis Weeks runs an excellent operation.

If you choose the Cancun area, then drop a line to ben@yahoo.co.uk. He's the owner and operator of Mayan Aqua Dive in Cancun. Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives&PADI Courses. As with Dennis, he runs a top notch operation and whale shark season is still active in Aug. He has a fast boat, 8 divers max, and that still leaves plenty of room for all divers. Usually, it is Ben and Ulysses or one of the other DM's that dive with the group.

I've dove with Ben for several years now and he has a sterling reputation with the vast majority of the divers from SB that dove with him. He picks up and delivers you back to your door.

Believe me, after dunking in the big pond, clear water is amazing! Although, two years ago, I was diving on the Stolt and viz was a good as Cancun and there were many tropicals on the wreck. Of course, this is not the norm...:D

Good luck and dive safe!!

Hi all... My husband and I will be open water certified by the end of July and are thinking about planning a dive trip to Mexico in mid-August. We are, of course, overwhelmed by the choices. Does anyone have a suggestion for a great site, a well-equipped shop (we'll have to rent everything but snorkel, fins, mask), with DMs who will take our newbieness into consideration (read: hold our hands), where we can stick to about 10-15 meters (30-40 feet) max and see lots of great marine life? I know it's a lot to ask, but I guess you were all new once. We're training at a PADI 5-star in NJ, but I think our check out dives will be zippo visability in about 20 feet. So this trip will be our first tropical experience and I'd love to be wowed.

Thanks a million...
Saoirse

Try Dive Club, Cozumel:D

My husband was brand newly certified when we went to Cozumel last year. I think he had 2 dives after his ow class and that was it, but he had a great time. We dived with Blue Angel at Caribe Blu and they were a great shop to deal with. We split our trip between Cozumel and Akumal on the mainland. I agree with whoever recommended Dennis Weeks at Aquanauts in Puerto Aventuras, he is a really nice guy and a great guide. We did cenote and ocean dives with his shop and my husband used his rental gear the whole time, which was in very good shape, and gave him no issues.

If you're staying closer to Cancun, I've heard only good things about Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive, and I've been chatting to him about our trip down in July and he's been really nice and helpful, so I would agree with the recommendation for his shop.

Ditto on Aquanauts with Dennis. Runs a great op and the places they go would be ideal for noobies. You could get a taste of some current then next trip Coz for sure. Liquid Blue IMHO is THE BEST dive op in Coz!!! A little more expensive but Roberto, Michaella and Jorge do a great job!!!

Also your SI in Puerto Aventuras is in the Marina and there's a great resturant for fish tacos while you watch the manatees!!!!

Back
Top Bottom