Just Certified... Where to Dive in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not try the Sea of Coztez - the place Jaques Cousteau once called the "aquarium of the world?" How does 2,000 miles of coastline, 100' visabilities, unfathomable depths, 9 species of whales, 5 species of sharks, giant (but friendly) manta rays, 100-pound tuna, sea lions, eels, turtles, dolphins, a thousand more species of marine life sound?

For tons of information about diving the Baja Peninsula, visit BajaDivers.com - an informational website by divers and for divers.

100' viz? Toto, we're not in Jersey anymore, are we?

Seriously it sounds wonderful, but we don't have the time to get out to Baja this trip and I'd really like us be a little more experienced so as to take full advantage. Thanks RJ, I'll definitely keep it in mind for future trips.

If you choose the Cancun area, then drop a line to ben@yahoo.co.uk. He's the owner and operator of Mayan Aqua Dive in Cancun. Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives&PADI Courses. As with Dennis, he runs a top notch operation and whale shark season is still active in Aug. He has a fast boat, 8 divers max, and that still leaves plenty of room for all divers. Usually, it is Ben and Ulysses or one of the other DM's that dive with the group.

As Spratman said above, don't discount diving in Cancun, and based on your orginal post, Ben (Mayan Aqua Dive) is definatly the one to contact,

Shortly after being certified in the cold water in Michigan, we took a trip down to the Florida Keys. I bought a disposable camera and told my buddy/wife I would take photos after I became comfortable in this new salt water enviroment. I was used to 20' max viz. Sure enough, I was amazed upon descent at 60+' viz and the comfortable water temp., with fish all around, like diving in an aquarium. I ended up snapping a few shots before I even reached the bottom around 30 fsw! It was so easy compared to what I expected.

Then 3 years later when we did that first backroll into the 100+' viz water is Cozumel, my concerns about drift diving disappeared immediately. Coz became my favorite place.

Wherever you choose, let the divemasters and dive operator know you are new, and they should respect that by matching you as best they can with similar level divers.

Back
Top Bottom