Just Certified, intro-level setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with above. See about getting used if you need the budget.

I actually recommend new divers get aqualung or scuba pro as it is easy to get serviced almost anywhere and is good quality. I always recommend getting environment sealed regs as.they also protect against silt as well.

I also prefer a back plate wing.

Is there a place or people local to you where you can rent or borrow a bpw to try? It is in general better to try any bc prior to buying.

Used definitely seems like it could be a good idea. It's just a little daunting because there is already so much out there and I have minimal knowledge.

Used definitely seems like it could be a good idea. It's just a little daunting because there is already so much out there and I have minimal knowledge.
That's part of why I rented for a long time after I got certified. There are huge numbers of options for every piece of gear, and it's hard to compare because most shops only sell one or two brands. Renting was the only way I could find to try different stuff and make up my own mind.

Yup, I made the mistake of buying the wrong gear when first started. Try out first find out what YOU LIKE BEST then buy once cry once.

@skl007 we tend to be quite good about helping on the knowledge front.

One other fringe benefit you may find by owning your own gear is that while you may only intend to do 5-10 dives/year at home, if you own your own gear, you will likely find yourself diving far more often, particularly if you own well fitting exposure protection....

@skl007 we tend to be quite good about helping on the knowledge front.

One other fringe benefit you may find by owning your own gear is that while you may only intend to do 5-10 dives/year at home, if you own your own gear, you will likely find yourself diving far more often, particularly if you own well fitting exposure protection....
Given the fact that it is possible to dive every day after work as well as weekends in the Puget Sound area (guessing here the OP is close enough), I hope so for the OP.

Given the fact that it is possible to dive every day after work as well as weekends in the Puget Sound area (guessing here the OP is close enough), I hope so for the OP.

Haha I'm in Portland, so it's going to be daytrips and weekends for me!

Haha I'm in Portland, so it's going to be daytrips and weekends for me!
Oop! Hood Canal is a 3 hour drive. My family has a house on the north shore so I could meet you at some of the dive sites sometimes.

@skl007 you probably can tell from your forum viewing but Tbone gives really solid, practical, and cost conscious advice.

Runsongas gave some very solid recommendations and links too.

Biggest advice is don't rush it. Renting is a-ok and will save you in the long run. My basement resembles a scuba store now because I kept buying things over and over. I love where I'm at with my config now but it took alot of $$$ to get there. The upside is that I now can assist local friends into the sport with loaner gear and whatnot.

Prioritize what you'd want to own first. Since you are PNW, i'd probably put the purchase prioritization in this order: Shearwater->ExposureProtection->Regset->BP/W.

Back
Top Bottom