Just Certified, intro-level setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skl007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys, I just got my OW cert and didn't realize how much I enjoyed the PNW dive environment (except for freezing surface intervals). I want to get in some more dives before taking a dive trip over the summer to get my AOW certification and figured that I should just buy gear instead of renting for local dives.

I haven't looked at any used gear yet, but I'm looking for feedback for the following setup:
BCD: Cressi R1
Regulator: Mares Prestige X15 (1st stage, 2nd stage, and octopus)
Console: Cressi Mini 2
Computer: Cressi Leonardo

That sounds like a nice setup. If the local shop supplies it normally that will make servicing and warranty issues easy to deal with. Is it a discount for buying the setup? I think aqualung is giving an octopus right now if you buy a whole setup from them.

@skl007
Realistically I wouldn't recommend any of that personally. Not that it's bad gear, just not what I would recommend and I imagine not what most would recommend on this site.

In many of our opinions, you need to buy gear with the end in mind, same with your training.
You say you want to do some PNW diving. PNW diving means thick wetsuits and for that, you would be far better off in a backplate and wing which will take about 8lbs of weight off of your weight belt compared to a normal BCD while also being more stable and comfortable. It also adjusts easily between thick wetsuit or drysuits that you'd dive in the PNW and a bathing suit if you go to warm water. Normal BCD's tend to struggle with that.
The regulators are good enough, but if you are doing winter diving up there, they may struggle with the cold temperatures at the surface where regulators are more prone to freezing.

What are your diving goals? What do you see yourself doing in the next 1, 2, 5, 10 years with your diving? What is your current budget?

That sounds like a nice setup. If the local shop supplies it normally that will make servicing and warranty issues easy to deal with. Is it a discount for buying the setup? I think aqualung is giving an octopus right now if you buy a whole setup from them.

Thanks! I put the package together on leisurepro but I can get everything serviced at local shops. The shop I got certified with only sells Aqualung and Scubapro, which seems to be on the overkill side for someone like me. I JUST missed the Aqualung deal, it expired on Halloween. :(

@skl007
Realistically I wouldn't recommend any of that personally. Not that it's bad gear, just not what I would recommend and I imagine not what most would recommend on this site.

In many of our opinions, you need to buy gear with the end in mind, same with your training.
You say you want to do some PNW diving. PNW diving means thick wetsuits and for that, you would be far better off in a backplate and wing which will take about 8lbs of weight off of your weight belt compared to a normal BCD while also being more stable and comfortable. It also adjusts easily between thick wetsuit or drysuits that you'd dive in the PNW and a bathing suit if you go to warm water. Normal BCD's tend to struggle with that.
The regulators are good enough, but if you are doing winter diving up there, they may struggle with the cold temperatures at the surface where regulators are more prone to freezing.

What are your diving goals? What do you see yourself doing in the next 1, 2, 5, 10 years with your diving? What is your current budget?

My diving goals don't extend beyond going on 5-10 local dives a year with an overseas dive trip every other year or so. I might take my own gear with me on dive trips, but it would depend on how much running around I plan to do outside of diving. I usually travel on the light side, so I would only take my own equipment if there is a really big benefit between my gear and what the dive center at my destination provides.

I don't have a budget, but I don't believe in going top-shelf for something I realistically won't be using all that often.

My diving goals don't extend beyond going on 5-10 local dives a year with an overseas dive trip every other year or so. I might take my own gear with me on dive trips, but it would depend on how much running around I plan to do outside of diving. I usually travel on the light side, so I would only take my own equipment if there is a really big benefit between my gear and what the dive center at my destination provides.

I don't have a budget, but I don't believe in going top-shelf for something I realistically won't be using all that often.

if that's the case, then I would look at buying some high quality used gear locally. I would really recommend trying a SS backplate and wing that has been fit to you by someone who knows what they're doing before you buy as that may make a huge difference in your diving locally. If you're doing that little diving, then I would buy everything used, locally if possible and that way you don't get hit with depreciation, and can save a tremendous amount of money.

I would consider renting gear if that's the diving you'll be doing.

You'll need to pay a shop to service your gear every year (or two, depending on the specifics of the gear). Service costs combined with the initial purchase cost can make renting an attractive option. Also, while that gear you listed will get the job done it is fairly "low end." You will probably find similar or even better gear for rental.

Also, if you go on a dive trip and you're renting gear.. less luggage, zero chance of your dive gear not making it to your destination etc..

I rented for my first year or two after getting certified. It took me a long time to decide on what gear I wanted. Also, as tbone said.. used is a great option for most pieces of gear.

I agree with above. See about getting used if you need the budget.

I actually recommend new divers get aqualung or scuba pro as it is easy to get serviced almost anywhere and is good quality. I always recommend getting environment sealed regs as.they also protect against silt as well.

I also prefer a back plate wing.

Is there a place or people local to you where you can rent or borrow a bpw to try? It is in general better to try any bc prior to buying.

I would consider renting gear if that's the diving you'll be doing.

You'll need to pay a shop to service your gear every year (or two, depending on the specifics of the gear). Service costs combined with the initial purchase cost can make renting an attractive option. Also, while that gear you listed will get the job done it is fairly "low end." You will probably find similar or even better gear for rental.

Also, if you go on a dive trip and you're renting gear.. less luggage, zero chance of your dive gear not making it to your destination etc..

I rented for my first year or two after getting certified. It took me a long time to decide on what gear I wanted. Also, as tbone said.. used is a great option for most pieces of gear.

Definitely have thought about just renting. Based on local rental rates, I would break even after 8 weekends of dives, and one weekend of dives is about equivalent to annual maintenance.

PNW diver here. First, dry suit. Hard to enjoy diving when you are not comfortable. Probably the best shop to get you equipped is Eight in Des Moines. Finding additional dive buddies/charters/groups can be found in my dive planning doc here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WPspW1jpgXJFwBcoQi9yR7OmgzSR4VrN.

Because of the amount of lead required for cold water diving, I strongly advise getting a backplate and wing configuration. The folks at Eight will get you squared away. Of the shops in the area, they provide the best gear and best training. Rent or buy, they support both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom