Just bought some used scuba gear, couple of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nick101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys. So here is the story, I found some used scuba gear on craigslist. The guy bought it all in 2002, used it for about 100 dive and maintained it very well over a three year periord, then had it serviced in 2005 and put it away in storage till i just bought it all. I got a malibu bc, aqualung titan regs with octupus, and consul with a favor s dive computer, dive bag, all for 300. I checked the hole system out when i bought it and it looks pretty good. I am for sure going to have the regs serviced to be safe, (should i do the bc as well?). My only concern that i had is that the bc inflator hose cannot be disconnected when it is pressurized. This worries me as when i was using rental equipment i had a stuck inflator and luckly i was able to disconnect the hose quick. Can i greese that fitting some how, or when i get it serviced will they greese it? Also to test it i used a tank with around 2k, i pressureized the hole system and then turned the air off. Over a few hours the pressure in the system droped to around 1.5k. Is this a normal amount of leakage? Finally with the dive computer, he assured me that when he put it away it was perfect and all i need to do is replace the battery. I have found battery replacement kits for 15 bucks with the o ring, but i have also found just the battery for 2 bucks, can i just do that or do i need to replace the oring?

Thanks,
-Nick

It's pretty solid gear, definitely get the regs serviced and do a full function test of the BCD (check every function), you can inflate the BCD and let it sit over night and see how well it holds air. I think the hose issue may not be much of an issue as most inflator hoses are difficult to remove/replace when pressurized. Of course, a BCD service along with the regs is never a bad idea. The 500 psi drop isn't totally abnormal but suggests a small leak somewhere. You can trouble shoot this yourself or do another check after everything has been serviced. You might get away without the O ring but it depends on if you wreck it during disassembly or it's condition when you disassemble it. For a few dollars it's nice to have a new one to save your investment.

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, you can put the end of the LP inflator hose in it for cleaning, and then spray it with WD40. That will often free up the mechanism and make it easy to connect and disconnect.

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, you can put the end of the LP inflator hose in it for cleaning, and then spray it with WD40. That will often free up the mechanism and make it easy to connect and disconnect.

Great, i do have access to one. one of the perks of being a grad student!
How long should i leave it in and should i use any special solution or just water?

Lynne will have some good recommendations, I use simple green as a solution and try a few minutes if it's no too badly corroded.

I just do mine in water, generally for four minutes. You can use a little vinegar in the water, if there's a lot of corrosion.

When you get the reg serviced they should look at the hose connector for the LPI, tell them it is difficult to disconnect under pressure, they can clean it for you.
With equipment that has sat for so long not being used I would also service the BCD, it does not cost much and it is worth while for peace of mind.
For the computer, o-rings can degrade over time, and you are meant to change them when you change a battery for a computer, don't save a few dollars to then loose a computer through water leaking into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom