Just bought new (new to me) camera set-up. Need advise.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdrewel

Registered
Reaction score
Just purchased a N90s with Ikelite housing, 28mm lens, extra 6006 body and a few other extras. paid $700 thought it was good deal. I want to add a single strobe to this outfit what would be a good choice? I know alot has to do with personal preference, but hey what the heck. Is there a stobe that is suitable for film with 28mm lens and at the same time suitable to use with Digital and say a 16-18mm lens?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Steve

sdrewel:
Just purchased a N90s with Ikelite housing, 28mm lens, extra 6006 body and a few other extras. paid $700 thought it was good deal. I want to add a single strobe to this outfit what would be a good choice? I know alot has to do with personal preference, but hey what the heck. Is there a stobe that is suitable for film with 28mm lens and at the same time suitable to use with Digital and say a 16-18mm lens?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Steve
I think the issue will be if the strobe is TTL for the digital camera. If not, you will need to go with a strobe that you can adust the output, like the sea and sea dx90. I will defer to otherswho are much wiser than me, but I think that digital cameras have different strobe requirements and needs than film, and you might be compromising youself by using the same one for both, but I may be quite wrong, and for your wallet's sake I hope I am.

I don't know much about housed film cameras but the first thing you might want to do is contact Ikelite and find out if you can connect a third party (e.g. Sea and Sea) strobe to the Ikelite housing ie strobe to sync cord to housing bulkead compatibility.
The issue of using a strobe that was designed for film cameras with a digital cameras is a complicated one. It depends on which digital camera, whether it uses pre-flash, whether you want TTL or manual and which housing you use with the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom