Just booked flight for key largo:op suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone. Just booked flight and car for key largo for may 1st thru 7th:D :D . Hav not decided on op yet. Looking at amy slate's, atlantis, and admiral. Have also looked at oceandivers. Would like to go with one that offers dive and stay package. Fiance does not dive due to being in wheelchair with md. her doc will not sign off on her taking lessons. She does love to go out on the boats and all (the ops) I've talked to so far said it would not be a problem. Even tho we'll be there for 7 days I'm only planning on diving three of those out of consideration for her. The Grove is a must:D , and would like to do duane or bibb:05: also. Any opinions on any of these or others. She's already said she does not care if it's morning or afternoon. Btw I'm qualified to do these dives. Have PADI master cert w/deep specialty,nitrox, experience with drift and currents. Should have my DM cert by the time we leave. Currently 19 dives in the 80-125 ft range(5 of these solo). Also would a polar tech be enough protection for this time of year(equiv to 3 mil) or should I bring my 5. I've dove the polar to 76-78 degrees and been ok,get a slight chill on longer dives (45 min plus) when surface temps have been above 75 and sunny but like to use the 5 for longer, deeper dives below 80 degrees when it's cooler or there's a breeze. Thanks, Jim

Scuba Do -- Relatively small boat, next to Oceandiver's, really good people. They leave 1/2 hour earlier than other boats, lets you get prime location. We did the Duane and Grove with them Christmas week, plus a night dive and a bunch of reef dives.

JimLap:
Hi everyone. Just booked flight and car for key largo for may 1st thru 7th:D :D . Hav not decided on op yet. Looking at amy slate's, atlantis, and admiral. Have also looked at oceandivers. Would like to go with one that offers dive and stay package. Fiance does not dive due to being in wheelchair with md. her doc will not sign off on her taking lessons. She does love to go out on the boats and all (the ops) I've talked to so far said it would not be a problem. Even tho we'll be there for 7 days I'm only planning on diving three of those out of consideration for her. The Grove is a must:D , and would like to do duane or bibb:05: also. Any opinions on any of these or others. She's already said she does not care if it's morning or afternoon. Btw I'm qualified to do these dives. Have PADI master cert w/deep specialty,nitrox, experience with drift and currents. Should have my DM cert by the time we leave. Currently 19 dives in the 80-125 ft range(5 of these solo). Also would a polar tech be enough protection for this time of year(equiv to 3 mil) or should I bring my 5. I've dove the polar to 76-78 degrees and been ok,get a slight chill on longer dives (45 min plus) when surface temps have been above 75 and sunny but like to use the 5 for longer, deeper dives below 80 degrees when it's cooler or there's a breeze. Thanks, Jim
I'm booked with Silent Divers and staying at the Hungry Pelican. We get there on the 4th. We are doing all the dives you mention with them. I went with them as I knew I had 6 divers going on this trip, but thought we might end up with a couple more and their boat takes 14. We are doing the S.G. and the Duane on the 6th. We have 2 dives planned on the S.G. during the morning charter and the Duane and Molasses Reef planned in the afternoon. If you want to call them and join us, feel free. If you decide to join us, PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number.
BTW, I'm diving a 3mm full suit, but I'm warm blooded.
C-Dawg

C-Dawg, Thanks for the offer. Talked to the pelican and they don't have room available for the 6th. Could probably find another place but we were planning on saving sat to rest up. Flight leaves on 7th. Would be able to do sat morn dives but not afternoon. Also she wants to see some of the keys so I was planning on diving tues, thurs and fri or tues, wed and fri. But that may change depending on how she feels. Can't do too much too many days in a row due to her medical condition.Thanks again. If things change I'll PM you. Jim

Check with whatever op you planned on using -- they often can get you a better room rate. Scuba Do uses the hotel directly across from them, not sure about Ocean Divers.

Mark,
Checked scuba do's website. I'm sure they are a fine op but boat does not look too wheelchair friendly. In any case I'll probably call them this week to find out. Thanks. Jim

You may want to check out Dive In (MM 97.5/Oceanside). They offer a six pack that runs out of Mandalay and a larger boat (W/C friendly) at their South location. If you are the first to book dives on a particular day, you get to request/pick the dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom