Just back from Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

Just got back from a great week in Key Largo. Great people, marginally decent weather, great diving and great fun. I did a photo class with Larry Gates ( www.larrygates.com ) and dove with him on one of Ocean Divers boats. I was impressed by them, especially for being a larger operation (a cattle boat...). The boat and crew were very camera friendly and treated my camera like it was their own. They are one of the few cattle boats that I would dive with again. I then did three trips with scuba-do ( www.scuba-do.com ) and the only words that I can come up with are WOW...eerr, I guess thats a word. Anyhow, Tony and Laurie have a great boat and great attitudes and personalites. They usually take a max of ten, but are USCG certified for 14 (?). They are camera friendly.

I dove a few reefs and did the Duane with them. There were four divers on the boat, total! We got out to the wreck in calm seas, little current and there was no one else on the wreck!!! I made a "gracefull" entry into the water which soon followed by me realizing that my spool had come off and was unwinding into the abyss. Luckily I had the end of it still clipped off. Tony was nice enough to reel it up for me during my dive. Oops. A school of Jacks met us on the way down to the wreck on the center mooring ball that goes to the stacks. My buddy and I swam to the bow of the ship and through the bridge, she was georgeous. I got to thinking in the middle of the dive about the history of the boat and all it had done. I believe that she is resting much more ladylike than if she would have been scrapped. Anyhow, I did not see a single place on the ship that had bare metal. She is totally encrusted. Wonderfull dive, beat the pants of the Spiegel Grove in my opinion. The 'other' dive boast, ie cattleboats were racing to the Duane as we boarded the Scuba-Do...a wonderfull dive!!! I will be back on the Duane, and I will be back there with Tony and Laurie!

Oh yeah, I dove with Captain Slate's as well...and met Capt. Slate, complete with fresh nurse shark bite on his face, lol! I was not impressed. The operation seemed dis-organized. It took them almost half an hour to fill my tanks and they looked puzzled when I wanted the same 'air' that they put in their nitrox tanks in my nitrox tanks...I didn't wan't any O2... "You don't want nitrox???"The boats were dirty and not very well kept. They were the definition of a cattle boat in my opinion. They were pushy, seemed they were on an extremely tight schedule...(this was the afternoon dive). The only pleasant experience I took from diving with them was Bruce, one of their instuctors who was helping my father out, KUDOS to you. In a nutshell, I will not be back, especially when I can dive with scuba-do for about the same price :14: .

Ahh yes, the water temp is 86 if anyone is interested.

I had a wonderfull time and only wished I could have dove more!!!

Later,

Adam, please do tell us more about the shark bite on Captain Slate's face (I'm trying very hard not to laugh) Do you know any details? We went down to Key Largo in June, we went with Silent World (right next to Capt Slate's) My husband originally wanted to dive with them because of there prices, but when I saw their pamphlet with the guy "HOLDING" a green Mora eel, I didn't want anything to do with them. I found asking for 21% for my nitrox is so much easier than explaining it out to the morons (so long as they don’t charge you for the nitrox...lol..)
Glad to hear you had a nice time, The Duane does sound amazing (we only did the Spiegel) I’m thinking that’s a Must do dive next time...

Thanks for the report

I'm not really to sure what the deal was with Capt. Sllate. I think they were doing a "shark" dive and he was feeding them... Taking the pictures of him feeding a Baracuda out of his mouth maybe he was doing the same with the nurse sharks. LOL. I didn't mean to discount the Spiegel, that was still a cool dive, and I will be back to it. I just thought that the Duane had many more distinguishable features and that you could actually tell where you were on the wreck...not to mention you can "almost" swim the length of it it in one dive.

Hey there Props.

Glad to hear you met up with Larry and the folks at Ocean Divers! Larry is a top notch instructor and the Ocean Divers bunch are aces in my book.

In February I did my AOW and Nitrox course with Larry and my dive buddy did his photo course. We dove with Ocean Divers and when we were there in June we went back to them. And we'll be back with them yet again. I've never felt crowded on any of their dive trips. And as you've pointed out, if they've only got a handful of people....they still go out. The only time I've personally seen them cancel a trip was when the seas were so high it wouldn't have been fun anyway. (The previous day had been my first and so far only time succumbing to seasickness).

I'll be doing a wreck course with Larry in October. And I'm sure looking forward to seeing the folks at OD again (and again and again and again).

I've had the opportunity to dive with Slate a few times. I found the trips run better when Slate is not on board. Slate intimidates divers. His briefing about ADRU is totally uncalled for. (ADRU stands for A$$h... diver recovery unit). ADRU is a spool with a rope on it that is used to toss behind the boat to pick up a diver who got caught in the current and couldn't make it back to the mooring line.

Plus, Slate's foul mouth is unacceptable. Not everyone wants to hear his mouth. Fortunately, my kids didn't dive with me when I heard him give his foul explanation about how everyone else caused the Grove to flip over.

Slate has forgotten who his customers are... he's forgotten that his customers are the ones who give him the money to put the food on his table.

I dove with Ocean Divers once. They're a good group. I had Louis as the divemaster. He was extremely helpful. I'd dive with them again. Conch Republic is another good group to deal with. They took real good care of us, and they let us dive.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom