Just another Custom Back plate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SupSonDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

In all efforts to make this project appear a custom piece rather than home-made one, I used the resources available to me, including:
1. A laser cutter from a friend who does advertising boards.
2. A large deburring tumbler from a friend who runs a mineral processing company.
3. My own workshop "braker" (manually operated power punch) & Sandblasting chamber.

Sources which got me started includes:
HUW H-Plate: H-Plate
this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...ustom-manufactured-bp-w-plans-directions.html
this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/400907-diy-backplate.html

Special thanks to edthesped for providing me with the cad template which I used to counter check my measurements (since I used metric) and added some utility perforations for future modding.

I explained the process and listed some resources which would help for anyone else interested in making their own here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/400907-diy-backplate-3.html

The only thing which changed from my the above link posted is the smoothing of the webbing slot. I did initially recommended using a die grinder with fine stone and then finish it off with some abrasive media strip (read sand paper). After a painful and lengthy finishing smoothing of the the 1st piece, only then I found out my buddy who runs a mineral processing company had a large vibra tumbler with plastic media... so the rest of the 3 pieces which I dreaded to grind down was immediately sent to have the sharp edges deburred with a vibra tumbler. Since the plate is "large" they had to hang it while it "simmers" in the tumbler. One extra after giving the other 2 to my buddies, looks like I am just gonna WTS it on the local scuba forum.

The back plate is made with 3mm stainless steel (SUS304). The finger "knob" is also made with the same material.
Features:
- The STA fastening position have 3 placement on top with one long slot at the bottom, adjustable and at the same time, can
cater to non-standard 11" PCD type STA/Wing mounting. Oxycheqs have mini STA's which could just as well solve the non standard PCD issue as well.
- 2 choice of crotch strap sizes as seen in many backplates in the market as well.
- All side holes can be fitted with padding which came with my frog rig, but I am not sure for other makes since I do not have them dimensions.
- Bottom waist strap slots has 2 additional holes for modding some sort of adjustable cinch. Since Tobin and Jarrod has gone over the cinch design and copylefts I am a bit reluctant to do anything to it at the moment. Besides the Halcyon Cinch, there are also DSS quick adjust and B.Agir quick adjust attachments.

Brokk Agir harpa adjustable: Backplate Acc.
DSS adjustable: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1340
and Of course the halcyon cinch (i dont need to link it here...)

Reason I wont do any version of a quik adjuster:
Harness / CL attachments. - Page 3 - Rebreather World
and even then the DSS version was claimed by JJ that the earlier H version cinch actually used that variant prior to finalising with the now commercialized cinch. anyhow... just not touching that part, or at least not photographing it even had I have an idea which I think is original :p

Further edition to this post to add the following:
The weight of the backplate.
To attach drawings/schematics once I get to my office to get the file and append a CC Sharealike policy on it as well.

Pictars:

BPSSD_00002.jpg Backplate attached to my frog indigo 30# donut.

BPSSD_00001.jpg knurled finger knob to replaced the wingnuts.

Next up, thinking of a good reason to go with a custom STA piece and then probably move on to some other advanced diving gear like s-mounting :D but im too noob to do s-mounting at the moment, so I'd leave that for the future. :)

Feel free to critique, your suggestions will be on this thread for others to weigh their options as well if they want to do their own thang. I had fun doing this lil DIY and probably some small accessories like slightly larger rod diameter D rings (like those on OMS, oh boy them 6mm rod D-rings do give their rig a "premium" feel :p) nehow, thats for my show n tell.

Anthony.

Wish you were closer to Florida...I'd like to get a custom aluminum bp w/the same dimensions as the DSS xtra long....I use their SS xtra long and it's just right....But they don't make their Kydex in an xtra long.......Nice work SupSon.......

Very nice!!!

Wish you were closer to Florida...I'd like to get a custom aluminum bp w/the same dimensions as the DSS xtra long....I use their SS xtra long and it's just right....But they don't make their Kydex in an xtra long.......Nice work SupSon.......

Yea the Kydex are really nice looking. Alot of refinement from lots of hours of designin, modding and redesigning, and of course dive researched. Why not send a PM to Tobin to ask for a Kydex xtra long piece? I am sure he'd think of a way to help. :)

--

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom