Just a thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've looked into the slide scanners, I havent purchased one yet but they are pretty inexpensive. I guess, i love those photos i shot 10 or 12 years ago but I'm happy moving on and getting new stuff on Digital. (plus my photography is a little better now than what it was when I shot those.) =)

I guess my thought was just what Cajuncru Diver said. Its just amazing that we can be on vacation anywhere and upload our daily shots and share them that night verses coming home with 20 rolls of film and waiting 2 weeks, spending $250 to see what fish butt you shot!

As for archiving...I burn DVD's and keep them on backup hard drives. I give family a lot of CD's and DVD's also so if something ever happened then I could get some back. There are also alot of Online sites you can upload photos to and they will always be there! I always worried about that when I was in FL and all the hurricanes.

Becky

I am not sure I agree with that. I think if anything there will be more photos of these decades than any before. Digital cameras are cheap, even cheaper when you consider that there are no costs for film and processing.

The best archive is a cd or dvd. If you are worried about important shots being lost or damaged in your house you can always pay for off-site storage. And remember, any condition that would harm a cd or dvd will destroy paper.

I guess my take is exactly 180 degrees from yours, lol

I think there is some middle ground between us. I agree that there are and will be more photos taken now than ever before. Heck, I can take 1500 photos on a week long dive trip when before I might have done ten rolls. Every birthday party of somebody's kid will generate 100 photos instead of 24.

The important question is where will those photos go. The people on this list (and photo enthusiasts in general) might do their best to archive some photos. Still, even among that crowd, only the professionals are going to have offsite storage and 300 year discs. 99.999% of the country is going to let most of their photos rot on their computer hard drive or some cheapy Dynex CD/DVD until either crumbles in a decade. That is where true documentation of what life was like from 1990-2010 comes from - those people. You can send discs of pictures to all the people that you know, but they'll have an even shorter lifespan. Are you (in the general sense) "archiving" the disk of graduations photos that one of your relatives sent you? Heck no. You'll look at the pictures, maybe throw the disk in a drawer or on a spindle, and then it will probably disappear when you move or die. Even 10 years from now, few people are going to wonder what is on that shiny disk that they find in a drawer with some cryptic sharpie title scrawled on it. At least with photos, they might get looked at and thrown into a box.

Its a slow work day. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

David

P.S. I'm going to include one of my favorite photos so that it is archived on scubaboard. Oops, Photobucket better stay in business or it will disappear when my account is no longer available.

David-DSC_2582Edited.jpg

Great shot!

Just a note on archiving: off site storage isn't just for the pros. I am an amateur, and key family photos and documents are also stored off-site. I find the small (3"x5"x1/2") Western Digital 250 gig drives fit nicely into a safe deposit box.

Until the we get web upload speeds comparable to much of Asia and Europe it takes way too long to up load a full trip of RAW/TIFF/JPG shots, so for me the external drives are an easy solution. If we ever have a house fire, the family photos and documents will still be around to pass down.

What rig did you use to photograph the nudi? I just started shooting super macro with a Nikon 60 mm and 2x diopter on my Subal. Really fun, but really challenging, especially in Seattle with lots of particulates in the water, and drifting with the currents.

Cheers,

Dan

Actually what you say is exactly what is happening and unlike real photographs and film, most digital media gets copied over. This fear---of a digital non photo record--has been brought up in learned circles and they have called this generation the first that may have no photographic record. I have photographs over a century old and many well over 60 years that are still viewable. Most home printed digi-graphs fade away in a few years and most likely the disc, hard drive or stick they were on is gone, lost or erased. In fact, 50 years from now who says Gen XYZ will even know what a CD is or how to retrieve the records from it. Your not alone in your thoughts.

N

Great shot!

What rig did you use to photograph the nudi? I just started shooting super macro with a Nikon 60 mm and 2x diopter on my Subal. Really fun, but really challenging, especially in Seattle with lots of particulates in the water, and drifting with the currents.

I used a Nikon D80 dSLR with a Nikon 60mm and a Woody's wet diopter. The shot is barely cropped. The original has really amazing skin and antennae texture.

Thanks for the compliment.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom