Just a thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeckyKagan

Contributor
Reaction score
Just a thought I had while viewing everyones photos. I just think its amazing we can all share our photos so easliy now using digital. I was cleaning out my basement over the weekend and found album after album of photos I never got to share because they are slides or film. I felt sad I coulnt share them. Its just great that we can instantly show everyone our trips and get such instant feedback on forums like this.

Thanks for sharing photos / videos everyone!

Yes, between the digital archiving of photographs and the wonderful thing that is the internet, people like you get to share their artwork, and people like me get to revel in it. What a fine world we live in!

Thanks for sharing photos / videos everyone!

Me, too! I think it's awesome how many people post their images and videos - I love looking through them :)

Don't forget to let the posters who put up images know that you appreciate them by offering a smilie or a kind word in a new post when you view the images. I know it's hard to comment all the time, but even a "Nice" or a happy smilie face lets someone know that their images brought a little magic to your day.

And check back to threads, often posters will put more photos in after a few comments and you might just find a gem!

I love sharing my photos, too. My biggest concern, though, is that in twenty years, those digital images will be lost/gone/destroyed/unreadable, while those photo albums in the basement will still be viewable when you have great grand children.

The marvelous capabilities of the digital camera will coincide with generations of undocumented family life and cultural history. Between the deletion of all of the imperfect photos and then the loss of those that remain, who will ever know what the 1990s and 2000s looked like.

Show those digital photos, but make long lasting copies (maybe not on your home printer) and archive them for the future.

I'm going to try and do the same.

David

I love sharing my photos, too. My biggest concern, though, is that in twenty years, those digital images will be lost/gone/destroyed/unreadable, while those photo albums in the basement will still be viewable when you have great grand children.

The marvelous capabilities of the digital camera will coincide with generations of undocumented family life and cultural history. Between the deletion of all of the imperfect photos and then the loss of those that remain, who will ever know what the 1990s and 2000s looked like.

Show those digital photos, but make long lasting copies (maybe not on your home printer) and archive them for the future.

I'm going to try and do the same.

David

I am not sure I agree with that. I think if anything there will be more photos of these decades than any before. Digital cameras are cheap, even cheaper when you consider that there are no costs for film and processing.

The best archive is a cd or dvd. If you are worried about important shots being lost or damaged in your house you can always pay for off-site storage. And remember, any condition that would harm a cd or dvd will destroy paper.

I guess my take is exactly 180 degrees from yours, lol

Me, too! I think it's awesome how many people post their images and videos - I love looking through them :)

Don't forget to let the posters who put up images know that you appreciate them by offering a smilie or a kind word in a new post when you view the images. I know it's hard to comment all the time, but even a "Nice" or a happy smilie face lets someone know that their images brought a little magic to your day.

And check back to threads, often posters will put more photos in after a few comments and you might just find a gem!

ALCINA, her's a :D:D:D for you. When I bought my first camera I jumped onto Scubaboard for some info and found your threads. I took your advice and my next set of pictures improved dramatically. I'm still far from some of the awesome shots I've seen on the board but getting there slowly

Becky: You are so right and I share those feelings..........but then I remember waiting 2 weeks for the film to to developed and the prints coming back from the photoshop as well as the manual typewriter and carbon paper.....gosh what a wonderful world of technology we live in.!!!!

You can get a flat bed scanner like the CanoScan. I have thousands of slides. It could take decades. However, to pick out some favorites it is simple and fast and works great to scan them. My Canon photographic scanner can do five slides at a time and it knows each is an individual so it creates five files. Import them into Adobe Elements or whatever. You can then rework them, restore them or whatever your heart desires including posting them online. I figure you actually know this but just in case. Much cheaper that paying to have it done at about .25 cents per slide.

My mountains and flowers era:

IMG_0002_edited.jpg

Old Glory:

flag.jpg

N

Back
Top Bottom