Jupiter Trip Report 04/25/2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
www.jupiterdivecenter.com

Check In = Gerry and Phil

Captain = Mike

Dive Guide = John

Special 3 tank dive offered on Fridays:

Seas less than 6 inches

Current nil

Visibility = 30 to 40 feet

Water temp = low to mid 70s

Animals of note:

2 bull sharks

3 lemon sharks

6 to 8 nurse sharks – some of them followed us down the reef, making counting a bit trying

2 loggerhead sea turtles

4 goliath groupers

1 caribbean reef shark

The first two dives, and the almost all of the third dive, were typical of just how spoiled we Palm Beach County divers are. At most dive sites in the world seeing the above mentioned animals would be constitute a stellar day. Here, during the month of April, we were considerably lagging behind the norm.

Just as we were about to limit on bottom time on the last dive, we spotted a large, mature hawksbill sea turtle. Juveniles of this critically endangered species are not an unusual sighting in our waters, but adult versions are not only rare, they are noteworthy. Florida Hawksbills Research & Conservation I was now feeling satisfied with the day.

A few moments after we came upon the turtle, we began our slow fifty foot assent to the safety stop and leveled out. I was looking at my depth gauge, when I heard one of the other divers shouting underwater. I saw him pointing at what I thought was a caribbean reef shark about 15 feet below the surface near the edge of our limited visibility. I usually don’t see CRSs very far off the bottom, and so I swam out to investigate. As I eased in, the shark kept fading away, but eventually it let me close enough to get a decent look. The tail shape was wrong for a CRS, so was the dorsal, and then the stripes became clear. Scratch CRS, and check sub adult tiger, which was my first tiger shark in Palm Beach County. FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Tiger Shark

I love diving this place. You just never know what you will see when you hit the salt in PBC.

Nice sighting with the tiger; I had one on a lobster dive at the end of March. Same deal; my brain had time to register what it was and then she vanished.

Great dive report: congrats on the Tiger encounter. Any guess as to its length? I've got to try that 3 tank Friday trip with JDC sometime.

Saturday had similar conditions: vis was only 40 feet or so with very little current. Slow current and low vis can make for a nice dive looking for macro life which is what I spent most of my dives doing. I was visited by a couple of fast moving reef sharks who seemed fairly interested in what I was doing hovering over a flamingo tongue taking a couple of photos. After circling a couple of times, I assumed they realized I had no fish and beat a path northwards toward the DM and the main group. Also saw 3 or 4 other reef sharks skirt by on top of or at the bottom of the ledge. Spotted a lobster honey hole very close to the ledge with HUGE bugs. I'll have to beg Capt Mike or Tim to go back to the same site once mini-season starts.

Nice report! Which dives sites did you go to?

Thanks Rescue Diver. We did three classics. Dive 1 The Deep Ledge we came into the reef right at the Hole in the Wall, Dive 2 Area 29, Dive 3 Tunnels.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom