Jupiter Diver Goes OOA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm glad I'm in the other 56% of the diving population:wink:

Sounds strange that they were both essentially fine at 30 feet when the donors tank ran out and one ended up unconscious at the surface.

jbd:
I'm glad I'm in the other 56% of the diving population:wink:

Sounds strange that they were both essentially fine at 30 feet when the donors tank ran out and one ended up unconscious at the surface.
The stat in the article to which jbd refers:
"A 2003 Scuba Diving Magazine survey showed 44% of divers ran out of air"
I hope that is a misprint. Maybe 4.4% ? My mind did not read 44 when I posted the article.

Interesting that in the comments on the article the guy who had the OOA posted that the reporters never contacted him and he did not run out of air but had an equipment failure. So much for expecting any accuracy in reporting.

Bill51:
Interesting that in the comments on the article the guy who had the OOA posted that the reporters never contacted him and he did not run out of air but had an equipment failure. So much for expecting any accuracy in reporting.
Oh well. That's our "Mullet Wrapper" for you.
I did not read the comments. Should 'ave known better.

From the comments:

The story isn't exactly true ... But yea thank god for my buddy ... they never called us up and asked us what happened i never ran out of air my equipment failed

7:44:53 p.m. on November 18, 2006
KYLE CONNELLY | 11.18.06 - 7:49 pm |

Probably the reporter was browsing the police log and took the story from there without doing any legwork. Lazy reporting. If the reporter wasn't a diver, and the log indicated the diver was out of air, I doubt the reporter would know there are different reasons for an OOA.

Splitlip:
Oh well. That's our "Mullet Wrapper" for you.
I did not read the comments. Should 'ave known better.
The story has the appearance at least of being written by someone who knows nothing about what he's talking about. "The other helped out by buddy breathing — or sharing his mask and tank — according to Coast Guard Station Lake Worth Inlet and Tequesta Fire-Rescue." :shakehead Misquoting the CG I would guess.

The site show 0 comments; only if you look anyway do you see that there are some. One comments wanted ALL divers to have ponies. He wouldn't last long on this board.

Okay, so they ascended to from 80 to 30 sharing air and killed that tank. Doubtful, but who knows without facts. How much air can two divers use ascending like that?

I'd really like to know why he passed out? I saw a guy surface from an OOA unconscious once - lung embolism from not releasing air fast enough.

Splitlip:
The stat in the article to which jbd refers:
"A 2003 Scuba Diving Magazine survey showed 44% of divers ran out of air"
I hope that is a misprint. Maybe 4.4% ? My mind did not read 44 when I posted the article.
44% sounds a lot indeed. However, I guess any time you start sharing air with your buddy, even if its before the tank is entierly dry can be considered a OOA event?
I have to admitt that Ive had a very close to OOA myself, but it was on a looong, shallow dive where I was well within the NDL and it would take me like 30 seconds to surface, without exceeding the ascent rates.
We where close to shore, but decided that when I had 5ish bar (100 PSI?) it was a good time to tell my buddy we should abort the search and recovery training dive and surface. At this time we also thought "hey, good time to practice air share" so I took his octo and we swam a bit closer to shore and ascended.

DandyDon:
The story has the appearance at least of being written by someone who knows nothing about what he's talking about. "The other helped out by buddy breathing — or sharing his mask and tank — according to Coast Guard Station Lake Worth Inlet and Tequesta Fire-Rescue." :shakehead Misquoting the CG I would guess.

The site show 0 comments; only if you look anyway do you see that there are some. One comments wanted ALL divers to have ponies. He wouldn't last long on this board.

Okay, so they ascended to from 80 to 30 sharing air and killed that tank. Doubtful, but who knows without facts. How much air can two divers use ascending like that?

I'd really like to know why he passed out? I saw a guy surface from an OOA unconscious once - lung embolism from not releasing air fast enough.

Typical TcPalm reporting nothing more :huh:

Once the story is more then a day old all of them say 0 comments.

Back
Top Bottom