JUP Rpt Jul 14 - Lobster Mini Sport Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dove Jupiter Dive center's Republic 4 with Capt Ryan & Capt Phil. Went south & did Way2Nice and Spade Fish point since both are within 3 mi and inside statewaters. We knew from scouting last week that it was going to be difficult to limit that shallow and not having a hurricane or Lk Okee water release to flush them out of the ICW. I saw 6 bugs, and caught 6 bugs (was allowed up to 14 today). Didn't even see a single Egger today.

Conditions were 81 bottom temps,, 2knot current, 80ft viz, & only 1 footers on the surface. I got to share laughs with SB member- @CosbySweater at the dock when he was getting on the afternoon boat. It was packed on the waters today with boats everywhere. We'll repack gear to the regular Sport Mini Season on July 24th & 25th and this time get to go alot DEEPER cause that's where those bugs are at !!

20240714_140149.jpg

NO lobster diver deaths reported for Jul 14th-Florida.

On the VHF marine radio yesterday we heard plenty of divers getting lost from their boats due to 2-3 knot surface currents and also reports of an underwater 'westward push'. And just in the WPB & Jupiter areas which are usually deeper dives, we didn't heard of any bent divers or accidents. That's not always the case during mini-season, but it's good news. We'll have a full year of FWC & SAFMC discussions about 'Micro Mini' or 'Mini-Mini' or 'Resident-Mini' or '3 Mile-Mini' or whatever you want to call the 1 day bug hunt. I didn't see any 'boat ramp survey takers' which they usually have for regular mini-season so I don't know how they can gather the catch totals and keep them separate. They can do the regular phone surveys or FWC apps that no one participates on anyways though. Also don't know if they can total up the economic effect in tourist/retail dollars.
Will this day be offered again next year?,,,Maybe .....

Similar news farther south. Many private boats in the water. No serious events coming through the VHS. Seas were a bit rough but visibility was gorgeous, beautiful deep blue. Could see the bottom at +/-60-65' from the boat.

We didn't limit either, I actually saw 8 females with eggs, Zieg saw 4 or 5. Was grateful I could tell right away before disturbing them too much, not sure how much longer they had before releasing their eggs, for sure don't have a clue about the consequences of people tickling them out of their hole (or worse) several times in one day.
The thing is, for us the subject of mini-season always feels like Christmas, we don't force the limit, don't even change the routine, but even if yesterday was the same set of dives as the previous weekend it was somehow better. It even brought me back here, just to see how was it for others.
I knew I'd see a post from you @Johnoly.

This was a great idea all around. Thanks to who ever came up with the idea and thanks to the Governor for signing off on it. Seems like no down side, and pumped a lot of money in to local economies. Thanks to previous us days exploring, it was an easy limit for four of us. I have no doubt this will become an annual event.

It even brought me back here, just to see how was it for others.
I knew I'd see a post from you @Johnoly.
We miss your insights and knowledge @Ana !!. And Zieg is one of the best bug hunters with over 50 yrs of experience.

July 24 & 25 {reg mini season} will be very different this year. We have not had enough daily rain downpours to move the bugs out of the ICW . People that hunted the inlet rocks & docks did very well and several limited. Today reports of a slight colder upwhelling are coming from WPB. Cold water has less dissolved O2 and that also will move deep red bugs up to warmer waters with more DO2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom