JUP Rpt Aug 6 - Looping Bugs on the Opener

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lotsa beach divers this year... stiff competition.. lots of flags out..

Just from what I'm hearing from friends dive reports of mini-season thru opening day.....

*) Kinda like every other town....it's either full or empty. Ft. Pierce, South Jup, Pompano, & Keys found lots.
*) North Jup, WPB/Boynton, Miami reports said difficult to find bugs
*) FWC doesn't publish numbers, but heard record tickets handed out in mid to upper keys
*) Wholesalers are getting plentiful numbers, but not stuffed and still accepting daily catches.
*) 2nd day (Thurs) mini charters were difficult to sell out and many didn't run PM trips
*) Weds night Mini tank refills did not go all night and most completed by 8-9pm instead of 2am.

Every operator had different outcomes, post up if you heard different.
I also heard the keys were a hot mess. 2nd day of mini-season the local weather report predicted horrible weather..... they could not have been more wrong. These folks can have an adverse effect on people trying to make a living on the water, whether it is fishing or diving. The weather forecast should always begin with some sort of caveat. Some times they don't even get the current conditions correct... as if they can't look out the window. Then of course the next day's prediction when they show the cartoon with the location of showers..... might as well be a dart board.

That said we easily limited the last 3 days. Monday and today conditions were perfect. I only saw 1 commercial dive boat and no recs.

Just from what I'm hearing from friends dive reports of mini-season thru opening day.....

*) FWC doesn't publish numbers, but heard record tickets handed out in mid to upper keys
Mini season. Went out at midnight off the beach in Hollywood. By the time we got back in, put gear in vehicle, said my "see ya later" to my buddy, it was well past 2:30 am. I decided to stay at the beach, sitting at a turtle nest for a little while. So I drove to the nest, still in wet clothes, dive hair, etc. and park. Just as I start walking to the beach FWC pulls up. (this should be interesting I think if I get questioned. Obviously I've been diving, but I only have wet gear, the lobster went home with my friend).. I acknowlege them after they said Hi to me and continue towards the beach..
Out from the water comes some divers. Honestly I was shocked to see FWC in the area, much more surprised to see them ready to intercept the divers. Wanted to stay and be a fly on a wall.. but decided it's none of my business and walked over to the turtle nest. Recovered one disoriented turtle. By then FWC had already left so I stayed for a while enjoying the waves and quiet of the beach.

Mini season. Went out at midnight off the beach in Hollywood.
Thank you for the " Rare " midnight dive report. We never get those posted!

Thank you for the " Rare " midnight dive report. We never get those posted!
After all these years of diving, I finally did a midnight dive.. Fun times. Would love to do it again.

Didn't think it was that rare of an event, given the amount of diver's lights seen in the water in the area. Lucky for us, nobody was on our spot... yet....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom