Junk on the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the insights I've gotten from travel is how insulated Americans are from their trash, and by the same token, how little awareness many of us have as to how much of it we create. I put my plastic bags and microwave meal containers and so on in the garbage, and somebody takes it away to someplace where I don't have to look at it. The process depends on so much . . . A population that can afford to, and is willing to pay the fees necessary to take the garbage away, and probably even more importantly, SOMEPLACE TO TAKE IT! Small islands just don't have the acreage for large landfills. Anything generated there has to be hauled off the island, or it stays there.

The Ivory Coast was an eye-opener for me. Garbage was everywhere. Although I didn't understand why the villages didn't designate one spot for dumping (rather than just leaving it wherever) I got a real sense of how difficult the problem of garbage is when you don't have any readily available means of removing it.

This is truly an underemphasized global problem.

This is truly an underemphasized global problem.

Remember when we were kids (60s or so) and there was the commercial of the Native American standing by the side of a highway and a bad of trash landed and burst at his feet...and he had a tear in his eye? That's how it is in the countries I've lived in outside the US. People just whip trash out the car windows or bus or whatever. The US (and I guess Europe) are 40 years ahead in that regard.

My brother has a video from a mission trip to Peru.

During the video the person doing the taping commented on an area that was very trashy due to plastic bags, - that this was the plasctic bag farm where the bags were raised to be used in US grocery stores.

Sad and funny both!

Congratulations LavaSurfer on passing your IE!:D Welcome to the Club! And yes, I believe you seen garbage floating around between the islands. I personally have not seen it there but have seen it when passing between islaands of Thailand and Indonesia. I was just gross at the amonut of garbage boats and tankers were dumping off there decks. I guess in third world countries they don't hold the same values as we about dumping garbage overboard. Moreover, they don't have the wonderful USCG patrolling their shores or area. :wink:

Many cities and regions of Africa have recently come to view the plastic bag as the "local flower".

I'm not joking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom