June Roll Call?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please re-read the last paragraph of my post # 64 above.
Although I do appreciate your lesson.

Why would anyone not pay with pesos?
Who said anything about a correct USD remittance?
Quoting you was not directing my comment to you, but extending from your thought.

And plenty of people don't use pesos. I don't personally don't, but lots of people visit with only dollars. For those people to think "this is the fare!" would be wrong to the taxi driver. In dollars, you can only have an idea of it.

Quoting you was not directing my comment to you, but extending from your thought.

And plenty of people don't use pesos. I don't personally don't, but lots of people visit with only dollars. For those people to think "this is the fare!" would be wrong to the taxi driver. In dollars, you can only have an idea of it.
Bingo. If the fare is 85 pesos and the exchange rate is 18.75 pesos to the dollar, what is the fare in dollars? I can do the math with a calculator (or a slide rule, old fart that I am), but not in my head. It's a lot to expect from a cab driver to watch the exchange rate and do this calculation on the side of the road every time a tourist gives him a ten dollar bill, expecting him to figure it out.

Pay for cab rides in pesos. You'll soon learn what the rides should cost; with the zone method of determining fares there's not a lot of variation.

Bingo. If the fare is 85 pesos and the exchange rate is 18.75 pesos to the dollar, what is the fare in dollars?

Not to mention, that's the bank's exchange rate. What's the cab driver's exchange? Just because a restaurant gave you that rate doesn't mean everyone will.
You take a loss when converting back to pesos, why should that loss be the drivers?

I agree that 10:1 lasted so long because it was easy to do. Maybe if it gets to 20:1 it will stick for awhile. (I'd like 20:1; people who live and work in Mexico probably don't want to see that.)

When you get home, take a taxi from the airport and then try and pay in Peso's at what you think is the correct exchange rate. I am not a fan of the taxi union but I also think that it's arrogant to not try and use the local currency.
So what's the weather like? I haven't been paying attention for the last few weeks, think I may come down for the weekend.

Change of plans. My sis and I will now be staying at the Grand Park Royal the 23-30 and using Blue Magic Scuba. We are looking into either a cenote dive or whale shark swim one of the days there.

@BertStevens I noticed you are in Lebanon. Hello from Sevierville! Flying direct from Atlanta in 2 days. Sorry we will miss meeting you at allegro.

Not to mention, that's the bank's exchange rate. What's the cab driver's exchange? Just because a restaurant gave you that rate doesn't mean everyone will.
You take a loss when converting back to pesos, why should that loss be the drivers?

I agree that 10:1 lasted so long because it was easy to do. Maybe if it gets to 20:1 it will stick for awhile. (I'd like 20:1; people who live and work in Mexico probably don't want to see that.)
It IS 20:1 now - has been for over a week now :)

I try to use pesos!!! Once you run out and only have USA dollars. I used 2 ATM pesos machine “Error” please see atttendant. The back wants a passport and ID to exchange USA dollars. I don’t carry my passport every I go, it’s in the safe. So, it’s safe and not get lost until I get back to the USA.
Today, I finally got pesos at an ATM than switch the big $ pesos at the bank. This time they didn’t ask for ID.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom