June in Maui, full foot or open heel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Tusa Full foot fin is a great investment at $50 retail. I think it's called the FF-9. Just a warning though. The fin has been known to crack/tear where the rubber and plastic mold connect near the foot pocket at the toes. Same goes for the Aeris Velocity Fin. But with great care both fins are amazingly nimble, light and definitely quicker than their open heel big brothers. I also agree with the other diver who mentioned that there are alot of dive fins that can be rented. But there's nothing like owning your own equipment.

Just like everyone has already mentioned. Booties and open heel fins are a great idea for shore diving. The hawaiian islands have lava rock as well as keawe (spelling?) thorns that the missionaries had planted on the islands to "modernize" the hawaiian population and keep them from walking around barefoot.

the idea of a dive sock is very smart too... Hot boat decks and hot sand has caused blisters before on some of our past divers.

I went ahead and picked up the FF-9 full foot Tusa fins. I gave them a test run in the pool Thursday and was quite impressed. After donning all of my So Cal dive gear (7mm suit and bc w/ 24lbs of lead) I gave the full foot fins a try. Not having worn full foot fins in years, it felt a little odd at first. But what felt odd was the total lack of weight with these fins. My Tusa open heel slit fins are by no means heavy, but these were light as a feather. And they propelled me rather easily through the pool. Now for the real test, only a month to go. One thing I did do is purchase the fins in XL, allowing me to wear a pair of Body Glove 3mm neoprene socks. The combination makes these fins very comfortable. If I do any beach dives, it will be in front of our hotel, the Maui Prince in Makena, and the entrance is all sand.

I want to thank everyone for their help.

Tim

mohneys1:
wet caves=leptospirosis. anyway it's a nasty bacteria... i wouldnt recommend the wet caves, as inviting as they are... and they are

It's amazing we survived childhood, playing in canefield flumes and ponds -- you would not believe the stuff in those things.

I don't go near waterfalls anymore also. Not after a guy got brained by a rock under a waterfall near Wailau valley on north shore Molokai. It was close; flank speed back to Halawa, laying down rubber back to the airport for an air ambulance to a trauma one bay at Queen's.

asnknight5:
Just like everyone has already mentioned. Booties and open heel fins are a great idea for shore diving. The hawaiian islands have lava rock as well as keawe (spelling?) thorns that the missionaries had planted on the islands to "modernize" the hawaiian population and keep them from walking around barefoot...

First off - glad to see you posting on here! I gotta clarify your history a bit though (sorry, personal subject for me :wink: )

The first Kiawe trees were brought by Catholic Missionary Father Alexis Bachelot, who arrived in 1828 - he was promptly told to leave the islands, which he refused to do before being forcibly sent away 1 year later, in the meantime he brought us the Kiawe tree. - Minor issue I know, but the protestant missionaries who had come 5 years earlier get blamed for a lot that was not their fault (and when you say "missionary" in Hawaii it's synonimous with them since they were the only ones allowed to stay by the ruling monarchy for several decades.)

Ranchers grew to love the Kiawe as it provided cattle fodder (the pods) and so they cultivated it, also discovering it provided excellent fence posts, firewood, and is one of the few trees which grow in the dry hot grazing land that much of Hawaii consists of.

It sure is a pain today (except at BBQ's) in the foot - I spent nearly a week trying to get a thorn completely out of my foot once - Those things can sure hurt! (and I'd been wearing slippers too)

Again - glad to see you posting here asnknight5!

Aloha, Tim

bluemagoo:
It's amazing we survived childhood, playing in canefield flumes and ponds -- you would not believe the stuff in those things.

I don't go near waterfalls anymore also. Not after a guy got brained by a rock under a waterfall near Wailau valley on north shore Molokai. It was close; flank speed back to Halawa, laying down rubber back to the airport for an air ambulance to a trauma one bay at Queen's.

lol - I remember playing in the flumes... wait that was just a few months ago :wink: I wonder if anyone is not amazed that they survived childhood adventure? I remember all of us neighborhood kids discovering the landfill - made a great playground, lots of cool stuff, and lots of chemicals we'd get burned on that felt like fire-ants... didn't stop us one bit though, just washed off and went back the next day (They would spray the trash with some chemical to help break it down faster I guess) plus the vents of steam from all the underground combustion going on...

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom