June, big / interesting pelagics, between UK and HK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinetwo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've gotta meet up with my buddy from HK. There are 3 of us together on the trip, 2 from UK, 1 from HK. We're looking for a good spot/liveaboard to dive in June. Could anyone please recommend some good spots for diving in June, based on the information below?

Who are we?
* 2 very experienced divers (100s of dives)
* 1 advanced (80+ dives)

What we would like to see:
* We're interested in larger pelagics: whalesharks, whales, sharks, dolphins, mantas etc
* We're interested in uncommon critters: macro, octopus etc.

What for?
* Photography
* Amazing diving

Logistics:
We would like the travel to be somewhere between HK and UK if possible, but would consider other destinations.

Ideals:
* Good visibility
* Warm waters
* Decent surroundings (e.g. things to do apart from diving), but as we're also looking for liveaboards we're happy for landbased activities to take a miss.

Suggestions so far:
* Mozambique (shore based diving), big pelagics and opportunity for a safari afterwards
* Maldives liveaboard, possibly bad visibility and bad conditions?
* Indonedia - I've already been to Komodo and Gilis so I'd like to avoid if possible
* Thailand - I've been to Koh Tao a few times, but not dived much in the Andaman sea. Depends on the season I guess?

Concerns:
* Bad weather, bad visibility, cold waters, bad conditions. As we're all taking photos, we'd like to focus more on photography and less on strong currents :p

No gos:
* Egypt - too far from HK

Thanks!
SineTwo

Hi Sinetwo!

Based on your preferences and time restrictions, the Maldives, Thailand or Myanmar are the best options.

In the Maldives, you can opt for a liveaboard or station yourselves in the South Ari Atoll. In Thailand, head for the Similan Islands. And in Myanmar, you will also need to take a liveaboard to the Mergui Archipelago.

If you’d like, you can take a look at our Destination Wizard. Simply plug in the time of year you want to dive and what you want to see to find the best destination for you.

Happy diving!

Brilliant, thank you!

We'll consider your recommendations and use your destination wizard, very useful. So would you say that Maldives > mozambique? it seems like mozambique has a lot of the pelagics we want, whales, whalesharks, sharks, dolphins and mantas. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but it seems June is a decent time to see all of the above, except perhaps whalesharks...?

Cheers.

Hi Sinetwo,

Honestly, both Mozambique and the Maldives would be amazing. However, the weather in Mozambique in June is better than the weather in the Maldives in June. In fact, June is the dry season and the cooler season for Mozambique, whereas the same month is considered wet season in the Maldives. Of course, you’ll find great pelagic life in both locations during this month, but it might be easier to access said marine life in Mozambique.

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have any more questions, and have a great trip!

Hi there. After much deliberation, we've actually decided to go to Bali.

Personally I wanted to go to Mozambique for the things that you may not see elsewhere, but hey ho!

Thanks for your travel tips, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom