June 7, 2013 Caycuse (Cowichan Lake) photos/report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, worked in that logging camp in the 70's for a short while. Started in the summer, quit the first day it snowed. Dangerous occupation.

Recall we speculated that there were a lot of very good logs sunk in the bay as logging had been going on for many many years at that site, and that someone could make a good living salvaging them. Will be curious what you find at the log dump.

Interesting, worked in that logging camp in the 70's for a short while. Started in the summer, quit the first day it snowed. Dangerous occupation.

Recall we speculated that there were a lot of very good logs sunk in the bay as logging had been going on for many many years at that site, and that someone could make a good living salvaging them. Will be curious what you find at the log dump.
There used to be a log salvage operation on Cowichan Lake in the '90s I think. They used side-scan sonar to look for logs and they'd grapple them from a barge. Across the lake in Youbou, I saw lots of large logs on the bottom during the 2 dives I did there. There are still a few more lumber mills on Cowichan Lake for me to have a look at. By the way, do you have any idea where the Caycuse floating camp was located? I have visions of swimming through a sunken village, since I haven't heard what happened to the buildings when they were not used anymore. Of course, I assume they were moored in very shallow water and the buildings may have been towed away or relocated on shore.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2013 at 10:55 AM ----------

Fantastic place. Nice photo's too. They really tell the story of what you saw.
I saw a few sculpins (one of them guarding eggs). There are 2 clips of them in the video from the second dive (I'll probably have it up later today). I don't know if they are similar to the ones you see in Cultus. The newts/salamanders I saw were probably smaller than the giant salamanders or "alligators" that have been reported in Cultus over the years.

No idea re the floating camp. There was no floating camp when I was there. All buildings were on land and had been there at least 10 years at that point. Don't recall anyone saying anything about a floating camp either.

Does not surprise me that a salvage operation was there. We thought there would be some really large quality logs as this camp did a lot of the first growth logging in the area and even in my time we took out some very large trees. Not many however - most of the logging sides were very high alpine when I was there so most of the trees were smaller (small being a relative term - only 3 feet through the butt and 100+ feet tall is a "small" tree). Some really extreme terrain for logging as the wood was running out, but we did move to some less extreme for winter as it was just to dangerous to log the sides we were working.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom