June 29th Is anyone on Roatan right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving was great today and the wind has picked up and cooled things down a bit. Yesterday a cruise boat came in and West Bay was as crowded as I have seen it. While most are concerned as to the reports coming out of the U.S and other countries, there is an overwhelming support for the decisions made by the Honduran congress. While I understand there is a 9:00 pm curfew, I left West End last night just after nine and the streets were full.

Conflicting reports. Which one is it?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist for this one, Marco said there is a curfew, the other guy knew of it but there were still people out side , maybe not everyone was being legal. I often drive on roads with a speedlimit of 65 or 70 and go faster. I hope this concept is not too hard for you to understand, I can try to draw pictures to explain it if you like.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist for this one, Marco said there is a curfew, the other guy knew of it but there were still people out side , maybe not everyone was being legal. I often drive on roads with a speedlimit of 65 or 70 and go faster. I hope this concept is not too hard for you to understand, I can try to draw pictures to explain it if you like.

Keep it up with the personal attacks. It just goes to show how ignorant and rude you are. Not very good publicity for your property in Roatan either.

By the way, from another thread:

We were a little concern at the beginning, but honestly Roatan has not been affected, except for the curfew.

NCCHUCK

Can you elaborate more on your generalizations that "There are many problems every day that just don't get reported. The corruption if unbelievable and many dive operators contribute to it by not stepping up. "

What should first time visitors be on the alert for???

NCCHUCK....Can you elaborate more on your generalizations that "There are many problems every day that just don't get reported. The corruption if unbelievable and many dive operators contribute to it by not stepping up. "

What should first time visitors be on the alert for???

If you don't drive a vehicle, and when you visit, I counsel against doing so, maybe your life will be less complicated. Hire a driver.

Well, Chuck had a Roatan version of an Alice's Restaurant Masacree, for those of us old enough to remember that story.

(That's where Arlo Guthrie, the 70's guitar player got 4F'd out of Vietnam Service because he got convicted of being a litterbug)

Here's the harrowing story- the one with the Police torture and deprivation of civil rights that he constantly alludes to, reprinted here in his own words.... NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!

"
Over time I'll have lots more to say about the culture and people. Right now I'm still learning but believe me for a small island there are lots of cultural problems and differences. To me it's a serious problem but you just have to deal with it and learn to accept it even if you don't think it's right.

2/21/07 - I knew it would happen sooner or later. I got stopped at 9:30 PM on the dark dirt road leading from Paya Bay to Punta Blanca where I am staying. There were 6 officers and luckily one of them spoke English. They asked for my drivers’ license and registration and I had both. Then they asked for my passport which I didn’t have with me. I told them it was up the road about 1 mile but they didn’t buy that. They said they would confiscate my license :letsparty: and I’d get it back when I showed them my passport. I said I’d take it up with :rtfm: the American Embassy. They kept me :dance: standing there while they searched the car and my computer bag. I kept an eye on them :nailbiter: to make sure they weren’t stealing anything.

After several minutes :coolingoff: the English speaker talked to another guy that said he was his boss. I heard him say American Embassy and then his boss told him to give my license and registration back. At that point the guy got real friendly :love3: and started giving me advice to avoid further problems :consolation: with other local police. He said I should get a Honduran License and keep a copy of my passport. He also said I should get permanent residence. I’ll do the first two but :nope: getting residence status is complex, time consuming and expensive.

"

This is the kind of stuff that can cause post traumatic stress disorder.

Incoming! :bangboom:

Last edited:
One think I can report is the boat operators are having to limit the amount of fuel they can purchase. Not sure if this is happening at the gas stations for autos but would imagine so. No problems with electricity. Another beautiful day in paradise. Last day to dive as we return home tomorrow.

One think I can report is the boat operators are having to limit the amount of fuel they can purchase. Not sure if this is happening at the gas stations for autos but would imagine so. No problems with electricity. Another beautiful day in paradise. Last day to dive as we return home tomorrow.

This sort of thing will keep diving at the closer sites, although that is not exactly a disaster. What is a possibility is this could suddenly get worse, or spot shortages of other commodities could develop.

The dive-ops I use run on Diesel, and that seems to be in supply most all the time. Regular Gasoline shortages have always come and gone sporadically.

Please- no politics in this thread. Just day-to-day Island Life reports !

Back
Top Bottom