June 18th and 19th Cypress and Destin Jetties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Arlene kept alot of us out of the water this past weekend so lets make up for it this Saturday and Sunday coming up. Anyone up for diving either the Destin Jetties or Cypress Springs this weekend? (June 18th/19th)

The jetties in Destin are full of fish and other life and visibility can be pretty good at times. Depths can reach up to 60'. We dive them at high slack tide and usually do 2 dives depending on how quickly the currents turn and how strong they get. If we dove the Destin Jetties on the 18th, we'd want to be in the water around 7:15-7:30AM. If we dove them on the 19th, we'd want to be in the water around 7:45-8:00AM.

We could also dive Cypress Springs. I'm pretty sure Morrison will still be flooded, but I could be wrong. Cypress is a beautiful spring thats accessible only by boat/canoe. This means you usually don't have to share the dive site with any other people! The basin gets about 30' deep and its full of life. There is a cavern, that won't silt up, that reaches ~50' and you can reach 70' if you don't mind a bit of a squeeze. This spring usually has 100+' of visibility! Vortex rents canoes if you don't have your own boat.

Im thinking both have a chance of being flooded, but maybe itll come down quick. Im headed to a offshore dive at PC saturday. Maybe I can meet up with you after that. Or if it gets canceled.

We've actually dove Cypress when the Choctawhatchee was in the 10' range earlier this year. It was clear as can be. The first time we dove it was around the 12' range, it was milky at that point with 5-10' of visibility and some tannick intrusion.

If you could meet up, that'd be great. Hopefully, some more people will be interested in the trip as well - I need a buddy :)

Little change of plans, I've got a fish fry to attend Saturday so I'll only be diving Sunday and I have a buddy who's itching to dive Cypress(he' never been).

How long are you in Destin? Maybe next weekend(25th/26th)?

SuPrBuGmAn:
How long are you in Destin? Maybe next weekend(25th/26th)?
Kyle and I are talking about being down there the 25th/26th. I'll get you more details as it becomes a tad bit closer.

Matt

I'm working this weekend but have off the 25th so that may be a go for me. I'm taking off the 27th and 28th for my anniversary and my wife said go dive - what a great woman she is - she knows how to get to my heart :D. Now if only the weather will cooperate!

Cool

25th is fine with me :D

Sa 25 Low 1:52 AM -0.3 5:46 AM Set 9:30 AM 88
25 High 1:26 PM 0.9 7:52 PM Rise 11:22 PM

High Tides at around 1:30 in the afternoon, its gonna be packed :) The good news is that we won't have to wake up über early!

It looks like a good tidal swing from -0.3 to +0.9. Maybe the push will clear the pass again.

Attached is the tide graph since Arlene. I almost went for a dive this morning but when I checked the chart and looked at the tide prediction last night, I knew that there would not be much clearing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom