Trip Report June 18 - July 2 at Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We got back late last night from a two week stay at Blue Angel. The port was closed due to weather for 2-1/2 days and the southern reefs were closed due to strong SE winds for the first week, but we still got to dive 42 tanks between the two of us. We dove most of the usual suspects, some of them twice. The disturbance that developed into TS Alberto shut things down on our first day there and we dove in the rain for a couple of days, then it got better, then it got worse with the next tropical wave, then it got better again, and the last two days were sunny and bright. We flew away yesterday with Hurricane Beryl churning through the Caribbean; our departure was as scheduled, but the airport was very busy with tourists Getting Out Of Dodge.

We dove Francesa, Yucab, Cedral, San Clemente, the very north part of Palancar Gardens into San Francisco, the Cedral "Platform", San Clemente Wall, the end of Yucab into Tormentos (a couple of times, once as a night dive), Palancar Gardens, Villablanca, Colombia (when they finally opened the southern reefs), the end of Cedral into Santa Rosa, Palancar Caves, Tormentos, Palancar Bricks, Palancar Horseshoe, Villablanca Wall (just the one dive that day when the port closed at 11AM), and we finished the diving with a night shore dive from Blue Angel. High points included several sharks, a few turtles, several octopus at night, a couple of big green morays, and a close encounter at the north end of Cedral with "Charlie" the huge loggerhead with the distinctive big barnacle and propeller damage to his shell. We buzzed around him for several minutes getting really close to him at times for photos, and he completely ignored us. We saw only two very small lionfish the whole trip. DMs were Mateo, Marcos, Andy, and Julio, and all were excellent. Mateo is an old friend and fellow Deadhead; we need a miracle every day. :D

We ate lunch every day at the room and had dinner in restaurants. We ate at La Choza, El Moro, 'Ohana, La Monina (a new one for us and an addition to our short list), Kondesa, Pancho's Backyard, Buccanos, La Perlita, La Conchita del Caribe, Casa Mission, and a few times at the Blue Angel restaurant. All were great.

We took my 96 year old mom with us and she did very well, with some help getting around. She has not missed spending a couple of weeks on Cozumel every year since 1977, except for 2020 like most of the rest of us. She even went out for a day of offshore fishing with me, my sister, and a couple of friends.

All things considered it was an excellent trip, even with the weather challenges.

- Gordon

She even went out for a day of offshore fishing with me, my sister, and a couple of friends.

All things considered it was an excellent trip, even with the weather challenges.

- Gordon

Gordon,
Could you share who you use for offshore fishing? I have done enough searching on google to find that some get miserable ratings and some get good ratings, but none give me great confidence.

Are you casting, jigging, trolling, etc?

This is something I would like to try a day or so with my non-diving friends, but I'm fearful of a poor selection.

Do you have a photo of Charlie? I had an amazing encounter with a turtle on our May trip and I wonder if it was him.

Gordon,
Could you share who you use for offshore fishing? I have done enough searching on google to find that some get miserable ratings and some get good ratings, but none give me great confidence.

Are you casting, jigging, trolling, etc?

This is something I would like to try a day or so with my non-diving friends, but I'm fearful of a poor selection.
We troll for billfish, dorado (mahi mahi), tuna, etc.

For the past 20+ years we have been fishing off La Graaan Cosa, but this year we had to find an alternative because one of her diesels is out of commission and no one seems to know when she will be seaworthy again. A couple of her crew (Tim and Jesus) have moved to the Mr. Green, so that's the boat we fished this year; she is a 28' Bertram single screw gasoline powered vessel. Good boat, good crew. My sister has their contact information; I will get it from her and PM it to you. One thing, though; I would say that 4 or 5 can fish comfortably, although Tim (he books the trips) may say more. I would advise going to Fonatur and seeing for yourself if you want to have more than five fisherpersons aboard. *

I cannot quote you a price since we have over 20 years of continuity with these guys.

EDIT: * My advice is to always see the boat for yourself before booking a fishing trip.

Do you have a photo of Charlie? I had an amazing encounter with a turtle on our May trip and I wonder if it was him.
My wife is the photographer; she mostly shoots video but she says she may have some stills of Charlie. We haven't unpacked yet, though. :D

My wife is the photographer; she mostly shoots video but she says she may have some stills of Charlie. We haven't unpacked yet, though. :D
My wife is our designated family photograher too. She shot an awesome video of the whole encounter (which I can't upload) but here are a couple screenshots. I'm thinking it was him.
Screen Shot 2024-07-03 at 9.43.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-07-03 at 9.44.20 AM.png

It’s always fun to see Charlie! Great pictures. We saw him last week at Cedral as well. He was hanging with a green moray then decided to head to the surface as we got closer. My husband and I dive with an adaptive diver group each year, last week was their trip. Happy they got to dive with the not so perfect weather. Charlie and the moray were a hit with the divers.

It’s always fun to see Charlie! Great pictures. We saw him last week at Cedral as well. He was hanging with a green moray then decided to head to the surface as we got closer. My husband and I dive with an adaptive diver group each year, last week was their trip. Happy they got to dive with the not so perfect weather. Charlie and the moray were a hit with the divers.
That's him, all right. The distinctive barnacle on his right shoulder and the propeller gash on the other side of his shell make him unmistakeable. He is a very large turtle and he is totally unconcerned about divers. He was munching on a small conch when we encountered him; I swam by him a couple of times only a few feet away and he totally ignored me.

That's him, all right. The distinctive barnacle on his right shoulder and the propeller gash on the other side of his shell make him unmistakeable. He is a very large turtle and he is totally unconcerned about divers. He was munching on a small conch when we encountered him; I swam by him a couple of times only a few feet away and he totally ignored me.
Any idea how old Charlie is??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom