Jumpsuit or two piece for cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For cold water, which do you all prefer? I'm talking 7 mm. Is a jumpsuit with a hooded vest warmer, more comfy than a two piece? Just curious as to what you pros out there prefer.

Paco

As with all wetsuits, fit is everything.
I preferred a 1-piece with hooded vest underneath. A Farmer John in the same configuration would give you almost 3/4" of neoprene on the chest area, making for a heck of a load of lead.
The hooded vest makes the biggest difference, eliminates the cold water flushing down the neck.

I'm with Bob here. I dive almost exclusively in cold water, and I find that the hooded vest/jumpsuit solution is *way* better (warmer) than the two-piece setup. I have a lot less water movement in the suit, and I find that suiting up is way easier than with the two-piece setup.

Also, you have a bit more flexibility, since in a bit warmer water you can go with just the suit and no hood. After spending 10 days in Cozumel, I'm thinking about taking my 5mm jumpsuit down next time. The first few dives would be warm (easily solved by unzipping the suit), but by the end of the trip, I was using my hooded vest/3mm shorty on every dive to stay warm. Note, the dive operator I went with (Living Underwater) used 120cf Steel tanks, so bottom times were always limited by NDL limits and warmth, not by air times.

However, in the cold waters of home I now dive in a drysuit, and prefer that to both offered solutions. ;-)

Nate

Thanks Nate and Bob,

I have been using a two piece 7 mil for my Wisconsin diving in colder water, but the jacket is getting smaller (can't be me getting fatter) and I'm beginning to investigate my options. Seems like the jumpsuit with hooded vest is the answer although a friend tells me to try diving dry and that I would never be satisfied diving here wet again. Anyway, thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

If you spend enough time in the water to justify the $$ dry is the way to go. The biggest problem I had when I first switched to a drysuit was getting my reg to seal with that stupid grin on my face.

There's nothing more satisfying when getting out of the cold sea to watch the shivering divers in their 7mm wet suits. I used to be like that . . . now I've been diving with a dry suit for over a year I actually prefer diving in the winter!!!

Depending on which wetsuit you buy (henderson gold core, hyperstretch etc) it may only be a little more expensive to jump to a drysuit. At my favorie store (great lakes scuba, traverse city MI) they sell neopren7mm drysuitsfor $650. :D

Unfortunately, I paid full retail for my ScubaPro S-Tek 7mm jumpsuit and S-Tek 5mm sleeveless shorty with built in hood. This was just over 2 years ago. I've done most of my diving in that suit in the Puget Sound and in Oregon. Only my feet have gotten cold. It's been a warm suit because it doesn't pump water. The suit will fill up, but it doesn't flush out. It has extra long wrist and ankle seals under the zippers. I can fold the seals inside and it does a fantastic job of holding water.

However, I must say I've done only one boat dive out of Newport, OR in that suit. We were on a Zodiak and didn't unsuit between dives. All the other dives were shore dives or jetty dives.

Now I've moved to Southern California and can afford to do some boat diving. I'm interested to see if I get cold between dives this winter.

Roy

Paco once bubbled...
Thanks Nate and Bob,

I have been using a two piece 7 mil for my Wisconsin diving in colder water, but the jacket is getting smaller (can't be me getting fatter) and I'm beginning to investigate my options. Seems like the jumpsuit with hooded vest is the answer although a friend tells me to try diving dry and that I would never be satisfied diving here wet again. Anyway, thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

I can't speak for the hooded vest crowd, b/c I don't have one, but I have a 6.5 mil John and Shorty w/ a regular hood.

If you get say 12 mil total around your chest, and 6 or 7 everywhere else, you should be fine

Back
Top Bottom