July 4th Holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
For the northern troop of the Texas Swamp Diving Team, how about making some plans to be Athens Scuba Park over the "extended" weekend???

Ronbo (Ron Carlo) brought it up last night as we were wrapping things up that he plans on being there Thursday through Sunday. (remember, Ron is an accomplished instructor, so if you want to knock out a specialty or two, that can be arranged).

My plans are to be there Wednesday night and Thursday (the 4th), but I'm not sure if I can get a kitchen pass for Friday and Saturday (remember, I'm part owner of a small biz). But I do plan to return Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

Let me know if any of the rest of you can join us!

I might make it Wednesday if anyone else is there. The 4th I got the grandkids & their folks and I swapped out Friday with a buddy at work who's referreeing (?) some kind of little league championship game.

might be interested in making this trip from Houston. Been wanting to check this place out.

I would love to come down and meet some of you guys and gals, however, my regular dive buddy can't make it so I would have to borrow someone elses if that would be okay. I just don't want to show up and no be able to dive because I don't have a buddy. Also, are there any good places to stay nearby?

JT2...that's the cool bit about our group....just announce, "I'm hitting the water, anyone else ready??" and someone will grab their gear and join ya.

There are several good hotels in the area, Best Western, Motel 6, and Spanish Trace. But the cheapest way to do this is to bring your camping gear. You've already paid an entrance fee to the park, and there is no extra charge to pitch your tent. And there's plenty of good space to stake your claim.

And if I haven't linked up with you guys by the time I show up, or you arrive after I do, just find a full size bus-style RV protected by a large german shepard with a toe fetish, and owned by a real friendly dive instructor who looks like the Monopoly man. That's Ron Carlo's RV and I'll probably be hanging about there.

Thans TM, where exactly is Athens Scuba Park? Do they have a web site? I m about 90% sure I will be there and I am looking forward to meeting you guys.

JT2

Mike has linked a good little map to the Scuba Park. To give you some ideal about what is in the area,

Turn beside the Tractor Supply Company or (TSC) go down past the jail on the right. Cross over the railroad tracks and they will be on the right. The whole trip off Hiway 31 is app 200 to 300 yards. The Ice Cream shop is on the opposite side of 31.

Randy

To get to Athens Scuba Park from Dallas,

Get on HWY 175 headed out S.E. towards Kaufman.

30 minutes or so on the otherside of Kaufman is Athens.

As you start getting into Athens, look to your left for a Catfish restaurant and a Texaco that has a Grandy's attached to it. There is a street (Business 31) that is between them. Take that left.

Stay on there through Athens' town square. At the stop light where there is an Eckards to your right, and an Tractor Supply company to your left, take the left turn.

You'll pass the country jail, go over a slight hump in the road, and A.S.P. will be on your right.

When you check in at the shop, just ask Shannon or Calvin (the owners) where you can find Mike Farlow (me) or Ron (your drysuit instructor).

I drive a white 94 Ford Exploder and usually park near the shop. Ron is in a large RV and has been setting up near the park entrance. But he might set up somewhere else.

Mike,
I might wander down there on Saturday. I just got back last night from Vegas, so I'm a bit pooped, but I might have my second wind by then. I am planning on being there next week, though (July 11-13). I have a function to attend on Saturday, but the afternoon should be good, and I'd like to do some diving on the day before (Friday).

I'll let you know how I'm feeling.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom