July 4 weekend in Loreto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been meaning to post something about the Baja trip for a few days, but my return to the rat race has left me without the time. I may have to do this report in installments, so tonight's bedtime story is the part you really want to hear. So how was the diving?

Well, conditions were less than spectacular, I must admit that. It seems that this prolonged algae bloom we are experiencing around LA is happening further south as well. Our first day of diving at Coronados island diving was like a twilight dive. How darK? Some of the yellow cup corals were open during the day, which is not a bad thing. Water temperatures were between 69 F at depth (and we weren't going any deeper for that reason) to 73 F on the surface. I could feel myself thaw as I went back up out of the thermocline.

That said, what we saw was still amazing. What a variety of sea life there is in the Sea of Cortez! A lot of it seems vaguely familiar, variations on an Alta California theme, but then there are things that are definitely tropical -- bumphead parrot fish, angelfish, and amazingly large surgeonfish. Lots of invertebrate life -- my favorite may be the chocolate chip sea star, just for its name, or the incredible number and variety of nudibranchs. Least favorite: sea cucumbers with feeding tentacles that looked like escapees from a horror movie. I try not to judge marine life by human standards, but those were disgusting!

On the way back to the boat, I looked down to find myself swimming over a huge school of barracuda. From the boat, we saw large groups of dolphins, pilot whales, and even two orca, all in the same morning. Amazing!

The second day at Danzante Island was still green, but clearer. We encountered pipefish, a big octopus, big blue damselfish (think Garibaldi on steroids) and even more nudis. I could shoot myself for not having brought the macro lens - the MX-10 does pick up backscatter with a lot of particulates in the water, but with the macro lens, it would not have mattered...arrhg!! My sweetie did take some digital shots, and I hope to post some when I get access.

I need some sleep (sweet, fish-filled dreams for now,) but more later. Bottom line...I am already trying to figure out when we can get back down there. Hmmm....does AeroCalifornia have a frequent flier program???

The town --
A short story, in a way. Once the capital of the Californias, Loreto is a small town -- about 5,000 when the Spaniards arrived, and 10,000 now. The airport seems like overkill - the tower seems to be built for grander plans.
There is not much to town, and FYI, there is a break in the business day around the hottest time (1-4pm) and I know why - it is running in the 90's now. There was an election on Sunday 7/6, and according to numerous sources including vans on the street with speakers, no alcohol was to be sold from Saturday noon on. This must have applied only to package goods, because it was definitely on sale in the airport and in town. We say it is not on sale, but....?
There do seem to be a few nightspots, but this wasn't the purpose of the trip for us, so we didn't go looking, so can't say.
Our hotel, Villas de Loreto, was just outside of town. A hot hike, but doable.
It was nice, clean, and low key, just what I was looking for, and the diveshop, Dolphin Dive Center, was attached. The restaurant at the hotel is good, and I really didn't feel too compelled to go very far.

Dolphin Dive Center -- I have to say that I was impressed. Lots of tanks, evidently brought down from a shop of the same name in the San Gabriel Valley, near LA. The rental gear (we brought our own gear) looked good, great rinse tank. The boat used was a 22 ft panga.
As for the DM, Raphael, he was very professional, did not rush us, and I really don't think I have ever met anyone who enjoys his job more.
Did we have a radio/O2 on board? I forgot to check/ask, and for this you should shoot me.
I thought I would have pix by now, but I am experiencing technical difficulties.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kelpbudg...src=ph&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/&.view=t

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom