July 2023 Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Kimela

Just wondering, do you dive anywhere else than Cozumel with a guide? How do you compare those other sites with Cozumel?
We dove at Turquoise Bay in Roatan last October - and the prior October we did the Juliet (Bahamas, not guided). We had done Anthony's Key in February of 2020 and felt the diving in Roatan last year wasn't as good as it was in 2020, and not as good as Cozumel. We have a good relationship with the owners of the dive op in Cozumel and, IMO, there really isn't a better value for the money in the Caribbean (don't have experience outside of that though). Bahamas, for me is a big yawn (for us). The reef and marine life is nowhere near as nice as Roatan or Cozumel (but there are plenty of sharks). We have also been to the Keys a bunch (too expensive these days as it's a la carte, so not worth the money), St Lucia, and Venice Beach for meg teeth hunting (a blast).

EDIT: I lied. I forgot about Kona. It's been a while. Too long I guess! But that's a completely different kind of diving.

Supposed to be able to do unlimited shore diving, bit not sure how that works.
Oh good for you! I suspect you'll be able to grab a tank across the street at Marine World - that's good diving. If you go north you'll be at Tikila, and if you keep going you'll get to the reef restoration project. We're seen lots of great stuff there - octopus, seahorse, turtles, an eagle ray a couple of times, sharp tail eels, morays (chain and purple mouth in addition to green) lots of 'regular' fish and even a frog fish (our one and only in Cozumel). I think you might have to get the tanks back before sunset but I'm not sure. I think that's what we were told once when we inquired. I think they close up shop early - maybe before sunset in the summer.

We dove at Turquoise Bay in Roatan last October - and the prior October we did the Juliet (Bahamas, not guided). We had done Anthony's Key in February of 2020 and felt the diving in Roatan last year wasn't as good as it was in 2020, and not as good as Cozumel. We have a good relationship with the owners of the dive op in Cozumel and, IMO, there really isn't a better value for the money in the Caribbean (don't have experience outside of that though). Bahamas, for me is a big yawn (for us). The reef and marine life is nowhere near as nice as Roatan or Cozumel (but there are plenty of sharks). We have also been to the Keys a bunch (too expensive these days as it's a la carte, so not worth the money), St Lucia, and Venice Beach for meg teeth hunting (a blast).

EDIT: I lied. I forgot about Kona. It's been a while. Too long I guess! But that's a completely different kind of diving.
If you are thinking of going back to Roatan, I really like Barefoot Cay.
It's on the south side, close to the reefs like Marys place and Calvins Crack as well as some of the small wrecks.
The boats and shop were very good as well as the food and accommodations.
We really liked the cottages

If you are thinking of going back to Roatan, I really like Barefoot Cay.
It's on the south side, close to the reefs like Marys place and Calvins Crack as well as some of the small wrecks.
The boats and shop were very good as well as the food and accommodations.
We really liked the cottages

That's good to know. We loved doing Marys Place - we were shuttled to that side of the island for two days because of weather and really enjoyed the dives there. Thanks!

Today marks 45 days surface time, the longest surface interval since becoming open water certified in mid January this year.

Since then, I have a total of 25 dives and have received advanced open water. By no means do I feel advanced, but I checked the required boxes. I have had a "learning" experience on every dive to date and expect that to continue for some time.

Eight (8) more sleeps until I wake up to head down for my first "dive vacation." I will be diving with my local dive shop, but no one else in my family will be with me. Five planned boat dives with unlimited shore diving over six (6) days seven (7) nights.

Excited is an understatement, but weary also lurks on there somewhere. I have found that before EVERY dive, I get a little bit anxious before first splash. So, I have begun visualizing in my mind packing, gear setup, hand signals, and skills. That seems to quell some of the anxiety.

Don98 and Stacy ..... Casa Mexicana .... Tres Pelicanos ..... July 15-22

Today marks 45 days surface time, the longest surface interval since becoming open water certified in mid January this year.

Since then, I have a total of 25 dives and have received advanced open water. By no means do I feel advanced, but I checked the required boxes. I have had a "learning" experience on every dive to date and expect that to continue for some time.

Eight (8) more sleeps until I wake up to head down for my first "dive vacation." I will be diving with my local dive shop, but no one else in my family will be with me. Five planned boat dives with unlimited shore diving over six (6) days seven (7) nights.

Excited is an understatement, but weary also lurks on there somewhere. I have found that before EVERY dive, I get a little bit anxious before first splash. So, I have begun visualizing in my mind packing, gear setup, hand signals, and skills. That seems to quell some of the anxiety.
If it helps at all, my first dive of just about every dive trip, I get a bit of anxiety upon splashing and at the surface. I typically take a couple of deep breaths at surface (not because I'm being zen, but because my body is saying 'this is your last chance to breathe REAL air!') and then descend while exhaling. Usually, by the time I get to the 'bottom' I'm calmed down. Our bodies weren't made to breathe underwater, and I think sometimes mine just wants to remind me! I hope you love Cozumel. :)

Reactions: v&j
Looks like it is going to be fairly empty boats this month. Here is the summary so far:
  • Kimela and Roger - Casa Mexicana - Jungle Divers - July 18-26
  • Mediumone and wife - Casa Pakal - Blue Magic - July 8 - 22
  • Carlos Danger - Unknown - Aldora - July 2 - 14
  • SATurner - Casa Del Mar - Marine World - July 15 - 22
  • Don98 and Stacy - Casa Mexicana - Tres Pelicanos - July 15
  • Diggie (Casey and Daughter Luca) - VRBO in Costa Del Sol - Jungle Divers - July 13 - 22

Casey and Daughter Luca ..... VRBO in Costa Del Sol .... Jungle Divers ..... July 13-22.

Also planning to take a freediving course on the 18th and 19th with Apnea Cozumel Freediving and going to the Cenotes with Jungle Divers on the 20th. Rest of the days on the boat with Jungle Divers

Looks like it is going to be fairly empty boats this month. Here is the summary so far:
  • Kimela and Roger - Casa Mexicana - Jungle Divers - July 18-26
  • Mediumone and wife - Casa Pakal - Blue Magic - July 8 - 22
  • Carlos Danger - Unknown - Aldora - July 2 - 14
  • SATurner - Casa Del Mar - Marine World - July 15 - 22
  • Don98 and Stacy - Casa Mexicana - Tres Pelicanos - July 15
  • Diggie (Casey and Daughter Luca) - VRBO in Costa Del Sol - Jungle Divers - July 13 - 22
Wife & I are here, taking tomorrow off after 9 dives in 3 days then back on Saturday.
CM-Aldora

Back
Top Bottom