Juliet Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm contemplating a trip on the Juliet Liveaboard in the Caribbean. I saw a video showing 2 people at the end of their dive next to the ladder on the side of the boat. That looks like a whole lot of steps to climb, in gear, to exit the water. I can't imagine doing that on multiple dives in a day and in a week. What was your experience with the ladder process?

Also if you have any dislikes about the Juliet I'd be interested to hear. Feel free to private message me if you prefer.

Tammy

Hi Tammy,
I was waiting for others to chime in before I piped up, because obviously we're biased as we work for the company. But I have been up and down that ladder many times and personally don't find it too strenuous. The pictures make it look a lot steeper than it is, and it's in a really stable part of the boat so typically isn't bouncing around either. If you have any trouble with the the crew is happy to help you in any way that makes more sense for you. We've had folks take off their gear in the water and crew carries it up for them, or if you chose to take the trek fully geared up, once you're halfway up the ladder, the crew grabs your tank and helps to lighten the load a little!
I hope that helps, and I'm curious to know other's opinion of our ladder as well!
Kat

I'm contemplating a trip on the Juliet Liveaboard in the Caribbean. I saw a video showing 2 people at the end of their dive next to the ladder on the side of the boat. That looks like a whole lot of steps to climb, in gear, to exit the water. I can't imagine doing that on multiple dives in a day and in a week. What was your experience with the ladder process?

Also if you have any dislikes about the Juliet I'd be interested to hear. Feel free to private message me if you prefer.

Tammy

I did my very first liveaboard on Juliet 10+ yrs ago, and got hooked on the liveaboard concept! I don't really have any 'negatives' to report, but I'm pretty 'low-maintenance' as long as the diving is good and the tanks are full! I don't remember any concerns whatsoever with respect to the boat ladders and entering/exiting the water. But based on your concerns there, I'll mention the interior corridors can be narrow, and depending on your suite on the boat you may find yourself traversing the old-timey style oval shaped water tight steel doors.....they look just like the water-tight door hatches you would see inside an old ship or WW 2 submarine. I thought they were kind of 'nautical' and added to the 'cool-I'm-really-at-sea!' sensation, just be careful not to trip/bump your feet or head on them. :)

Tammy

Hey Tammy,

I did my first LA with Juliet October 2016-Kat's response is fairly accurate. Ladders are always a concern and safety hazard for most people but if you take your time and hold onto the ladder rails properly, you should have no problem. But then again, I'm a fairly younger diver and I shore dive in the summer heat with steel 120cf tanks so I may also be biased on how much effort it requires to ascend the Juliet dive ladder. Like Kat said they have multiple crew at the ladder at all times, to ensure all divers enter and especially exit the water properly. I myself never liked anyone to help me out of the water as this is a personal preference of mine but please note the crew is there help you in any way possible. And yes, you can even completely remove your gear completely in the water and the crew will carry your gear for you. The only time when this may not be possible is when surface conditions are rough and it may be easier for the diver to climb up on their own.

If you want a more in depth review of the Juliet, please see my full review here.

I've done at least five - six trips on Juliet. Never saw anyone have issues with the ladder, including multiple men and women in the 60 - 80 age bracket.

However, I've always fantasied about eschewing the ladder and climbing up the anchor chain to climb over the side to board pirate style.

That would be a bold move and a potentially defining moment for me on the Juliet. I see NOTHING that could go wrong......

Never been on that boat, but speaking of ladders makes me think of st croix's frederiksted pier. There's a ladder half way out that I've used to climb out and onto the pier. It feels like it's thirty feet tall, but in reality I think it's just about sixteen feet high. I'm sure the crew on the Juliet will be more than helpful and it won't even be an issue for you!

I've done at least five - six trips on Juliet. Never saw anyone have issues with the ladder, including multiple men and women in the 60 - 80 age bracket.

However, I've always fantasied about eschewing the ladder and climbing up the anchor chain to climb over the side to board pirate style.

That would be a bold move and a potentially defining moment for me on the Juliet. I see NOTHING that could go wrong......

I'm sure if you do this Liza or Nate will harpoon you with no hesitation!

Watching Liza (and other crew members) do it effortlessly kinda inspired me. I hope to try it on my next trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom