Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buster243

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We sailed on the Juliet in mid-August 2025, and it’s clear this is a "no-frills" liveaboard experience. Don’t expect luxurious cabins or gourmet dining—this trip is all about straightforward diving. We knew this before going so there were no surprises. The ship, an older converted diesel vessel with some sails (rarely used), offers a functional setup. The dive deck is mid-ship, so be prepared for a five-foot drop into the water. While there’s a staircase for climbing back onboard, there’s no low dive platform, so it’s a bit of a workout.

The crossing to the Bahamas, about 50 miles, was rough both ways. Make sure to bring your seasickness remedies—many on board were feeling the effects. Most cabins share a bathroom, though we were fortunate to have an en suite. The rooms are air-conditioned, but the rest of the ship? Not so much. Meals are served in the galley with minimal air conditioning, and most guests preferred to dine outside to catch a breeze. The food leans heavily toward comfort food, with lots of carbs—think pasta, bread, potatoes, and beans at nearly every meal.

The crew was competent, and the captain kept a sharp eye on currents and weather, ensuring we didn’t miss a single dive all week. Diving without a dive master has its ups and downs. On the plus side, you can dive at your own pace and stay down longer—we often clocked over 60 minutes per dive while staying within safe limits. However, without a guide, you might miss those hidden critters like octopuses and seahorses that DMs usually point out. That said, we saw plenty of sharks, rays, barracuda, and other large marine life at various sites, including Big Greenie, Lewda, the Strip, and the wreck of the Sapona, along with many other locations. We completed four dives a day, including night dives, except for Thursday, when we did three dives before heading back to Miami. Note that this ship offers a six-day trip instead of the typical seven-day liveaboards.

Navigating on your own means honing your compass skills and staying extra aware of underwater landmarks. With visibility around 100 feet, it’s easy to lose sight of the boat, so keeping an eye on the ship’s direction is crucial. By the end of the trip, we felt like better navigational divers, thanks to the added challenge.

We recommend the Juliet, but go in knowing it’s a bare-bones experience. If you’re after luxury, this isn’t the boat for you. But if you’re looking for solid diving, a chance to sharpen your underwater navigation skills, and a bit of adventure, it’s a great choice.
ship.jpg
ray.jpg
Sapona.jpg

Reminds me of Sea Explorer from Blackbeard's Charters in the 80's. I think they had better food.

Reminds me of Sea Explorer from Blackbeard's Charters in the 80's. I think they had better food.
The food on board was decent, mostly comfort staples like mac and cheese, burgers, beef stew, enchiladas, and tacos. Everyone seemed satisfied with the meals. Personally, there were a few too many olives and mushrooms for my taste, but nothing I couldn’t pick out—and luckily, no allergies to worry about!

Excellent, practical review. I don't see a lot of review of the Juliet, but what I have read were always quite good, IIRC. They offer different destinations at different times of year.

One thing I've noticed (never been on a trip with them; occasionally check into it as a future possibility), they don't have a lot of big annual sales, or so has been my impression. That may be a good thing. Here's my reasoning.

For Aggressor Fleet trips in the Caribbean region, I've noticed a pattern roughly around Nov. (IIRC?) where they have had big sales (at times 30+% off!) a number of years. Therefore, if I wanted to book one of their trips, I waited for the big sales (and granted, saved a lot of money). Explorer Ventures also has sales, so again, I wouldn't book at the base rate.

It's my understanding that the Juliet is rather like CocoView Resort in Roatan in that you don't have to worry about waiting for big sales, just book when you're ready.

Was that your experience in researching the trip, or did you find a sale?

We completed four dives a day, including night dives, except for Thursday, when we did three dives before heading back to Miami.
Are night dives usually one of the 4, with 3 day dives? Or is that just a couple of days, etc...?

Excellent, practical review. I don't see a lot of review of the Juliet, but what I have read were always quite good, IIRC. They offer different destinations at different times of year.

One thing I've noticed (never been on a trip with them; occasionally check into it as a future possibility), they don't have a lot of big annual sales, or so has been my impression. That may be a good thing. Here's my reasoning.

For Aggressor Fleet trips in the Caribbean region, I've noticed a pattern roughly around Nov. (IIRC?) where they have had big sales (at times 30+% off!) a number of years. Therefore, if I wanted to book one of their trips, I waited for the big sales (and granted, saved a lot of money). Explorer Ventures also has sales, so again, I wouldn't book at the base rate.

It's my understanding that the Juliet is rather like CocoView Resort in Roatan in that you don't have to worry about waiting for big sales, just book when you're ready.

Was that your experience in researching the trip, or did you find a sale?

Are night dives usually one of the 4, with 3 day dives? Or is that just a couple of days, etc...?

I went with Juliet for a week in July. The group I dive with had been multiple times aboard Juliet and I very much felt like I was diving with a nice family. The food was great and the boat was very comfortable. I enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. I'll dive with them again and again.
Juliet is a perfect fit for me.

You are correct the Juliet typically does not offer big sales throughout the year, you might catch a deal if you're flexible and can book less than a month out—if a week isn’t fully booked they will discount a berth.

We’ve been on the Juliet three times. For us,it was most fun when Nate was there. He seemed to even things out and make it most relaxing. But I think he’s on to a different seafaring life now. Last time we were on they had a French guy who created some pretty incredible meals from that teeny galley. Who your chef is depends on the ‘luck of the draw’ I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom