Trip Report Juliet - Bimini - Oct 2-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you always go this time of year, which is hurricane season? I’ve never done that crossing, so don’t know if it changes things much.

Erik
Our two previous trips were both in July - which is also hurricane season. I don't know if the time of year effects the crossing or not. Maybe @Brant Emery can answer that one? Juliet's itinerary changes throughout the year. They do Bahamas through the second week in November this year, and start again the second week in April. Maybe the sweet spot (in terms of hurricanes) would be April until June? I think hurricane season is officially end of June to end of November?

Thanks so much for the report! I'm going on the Juliet at the end of this month (October 23rd) and am very excited. I wouldn't have taken the Dramamine beforehand, but will now after reading this. This is my second liveaboard (first was Explorer Ventures Turks & Caicos) and first on the Juliet. Again, a fellow Missourian really appreciates the trip report.
Jase, I want to reinforce the importance of taking your seasickness meds whether it's Dramamine or putting the patch on the night before you go on this trip. I did not do that. Huge mistake. You should be fine if you do that. Explorer Ventures is very different and they don't have a crossing to make like the Juliet. Good luck and have a great trip.

The crossing is a full 6 hours, maybe more. I think we left port around 3 and were told we'd be through around 10. If I'm misremembering I hope someone will chime it to correct me. And we were rocking and rolling pretty hard for much of it. I think if you plan for it, medicate, and plan on staying stationary for a bit, it helps.
Kimela is totally spot on with the crossing. We left around 3, soon after lunch and I think the worst of the crossing was over by 7:30-8:00. I think I finally went downstairs to our cabin around 7:45 or so when we were close. I believe this was also one of the more rough crossings, but I have no comparison. I think Liza said this was not the worst, but not the mildest by any means. PRE-MEDICATE. I can't emphasize that enough.

Back
Top Bottom