Julie Lynne Cannon Ballard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilMermaid1,
Thank you for your posts. You are a credit to the dive profession.

We are also very sorry for the family and friends of Ms. Ballard.

It's my belief that this was a case of a beautiful soul being called home by a higher power.
A power higher than the most well trained, well equiped and ready crew or instructor.
20ft., 30ft., 40ft., 60ft., no matter. No relevance whatever in this case.

It was a sea turtle and a sting ray in the Caymens that got me motivated to get certified many years ago.
Of all the ways to go, to simply go limp while admiring a turtle at 60 ft. sounds pretty good to me.

Thoughts and prayers up for the friends and family, and for all the youngsters in need of care that would have benefited from her talent and dedication.

Lilmermaid,

Thank you for the post from this ol' vintage diver, and ex-NAUI Instructor (#2710, 1973). When I went through the NAUI ITC, they emphasized to us to treat every student as if he or she was your loved one, because that student is someone else's loved one. You have exemplified that spirit in your posts, and from what I can tell in your instruction. I know this is a difficult time for you, the boat crew, and the family. Our prayers are with all of you. I do hope that you can see through this, and understand that God's love is much like diving, and is a buoyant force allowing us to live live independent of the daily concerns of most worldly troubles--we are weightless, both in life and as divers. It is that love which guides us through these kinds of traumas, and becomes the buoyancy we need to survive it. We need instructors such as you. Take some time, but remember that buoyancy.

John (SeaRat)

We try so hard to make sense out of the senseless. To understand the incomprehensible. My condolences to the family and her friends and I do hope her last minutes with the sea turtle were joyful.

Mrs. Ballard was released to her family after donating some organs and tissues to help others just a few days after.

I like the fact that she was an organ donor, as I am. Thanks for sharing that. It makes this sad tragedy a little bit more bearable, knowing that she helped others, even in death.

My condolences to you and to her family.

Trish

I am one of Julie's sisters. I am a medical professional as are 5 of my other 7 siblings. I love scuba diving. Although Julie's passing was a shock to all of us we take great comfort in knowing that she was trained well to dive, and all efforts were made to to resuscitate her.

A couple of weeks before Julie left for Florida I talked with Julie. She had done a short introduction class to scuba diving in a local pool. She said it was one of the coolest things she had ever done. I told her that if she wanted to see something really cool, go into the ocean and see fish!!!. I am sure she was loving what she was doing when she passed away. Our family has a very deep conviction of the after life. We believe that it was Julie's time to go, and that all efforts were made to save her life. We appreciate Tina's help in teaching Julie to dive, Sandy and her crew, the coast guard, and all others that helped with her rescue. As a medical professional I know it is never easy to lose a patient. Despite one's best effort it is easy to second guess what could have been done differently. I for one, would appreciate it if the arguing regarding the training would cease from this forum as I don't think it really is making those involved with the dive feel any better. Personally I was certified in a mucky lake here in Utah. In my first dive after certification at what is supposed to be one of the most safety conscious dive shops in the world I was taken down to 70 feet. It was a huge jump (pun intended) going from a ladder at a pier at 50 feet for certification, to a boat dive at a wall with a drop to 1000 feet. I am glad Julie had someone with her constantly for that first open water dive. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who might be suffering due to the trauma of being with Julie at the time of her death. Please know that we appreciate the kindness they showed to her and her husband.

I have never done any dives in the US. I have done close to 100 dives, but they have all been international. Hopefully at some point I can return with Tina and Sandy to the spot where Julie passed away, and remember the wonderful, kind person she was. Although we will miss her during this life, we are happy that she was enjoying life to the fullest at her passing. Till we see you again Julie...We love you!

P.S. Tina I would love to talk to you if I can contact you somehow.

Eileen,
Thank you for your kind words and again, myself, Vicki and Mike are very sorry for your loss. I am glad your family has been able to find comfort in each other. It was also very nice of you to post on this forum, I've emailed you all of Tina's information, if you don't get it, please feel free to call me anytime.

Sandy

I am one of Julie's sisters. I am a medical professional as are 5 of my other 7 siblings. I love scuba diving. Although Julie's passing was a shock to all of us we take great comfort in knowing that she was trained well to dive, and all efforts were made to to resuscitate her.

A couple of weeks before Julie left for Florida I talked with Julie. She had done a short introduction class to scuba diving in a local pool. She said it was one of the coolest things she had ever done. I told her that if she wanted to see something really cool, go into the ocean and see fish!!!. I am sure she was loving what she was doing when she passed away. Our family has a very deep conviction of the after life. We believe that it was Julie's time to go, and that all efforts were made to save her life. We appreciate Tina's help in teaching Julie to dive, Sandy and her crew, the coast guard, and all others that helped with her rescue. As a medical professional I know it is never easy to lose a patient. Despite one's best effort it is easy to second guess what could have been done differently. I for one, would appreciate it if the arguing regarding the training would cease from this forum as I don't think it really is making those involved with the dive feel any better. Personally I was certified in a mucky lake here in Utah. In my first dive after certification at what is supposed to be one of the most safety conscious dive shops in the world I was taken down to 70 feet. It was a huge jump (pun intended) going from a ladder at a pier at 50 feet for certification, to a boat dive at a wall with a drop to 1000 feet. I am glad Julie had someone with her constantly for that first open water dive. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who might be suffering due to the trauma of being with Julie at the time of her death. Please know that we appreciate the kindness they showed to her and her husband.

I have never done any dives in the US. I have done close to 100 dives, but they have all been international. Hopefully at some point I can return with Tina and Sandy to the spot where Julie passed away, and remember the wonderful, kind person she was. Although we will miss her during this life, we are happy that she was enjoying life to the fullest at her passing. Till we see you again Julie...We love you!

P.S. Tina I would love to talk to you if I can contact you somehow.

Posted by Julie's mother:

A Letter to the diving instructors, the owners of the company and
especially the expert diver who was with our blessed daughter and her
husband when Julie's life on earth abruptly ended.

When we as parents first heard of Julie's sudden and unexpected death, we
were surprised and shocked at the news, yet we believe that we were
comforted by the Holy Spirit to be accepting and even somewhat
understanding.

We will all miss Julie but are not blaming anyone. Julie was doing what
she wanted to do and she had excellent instruction and care from the
diving company.  Our Father in Heaven loves all His Children and we trust that
there is life after death.

If you want to understand more about our beliefs go to Mormon.org as
we are commonly named or as the proper name of our church which is:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
I was privileged to speak at Julie's funeral and spoke of her talents,
accomplishments and virtues of which she had many. She is continuing her
work in the heavens above. Knowing this has given me great comfort. I miss her, but it will not be long before I will see her again.
Signed, Her Loving Mother
Elsie Cannon

I thank you beautiful women both so much for your trust in me, your sweet kindness, the love you have shown Lynn to help him through this and most of all for your great compassion for our Lord Christ Jesus. Tears fill my eyes right now as I am over welmed by your warm words on my behalf. In the midst of the sadness of missing her your selfless hearts are thinking of others. Your entire family is so wonderful. That is exactly what Julie was like. She was so wonderful to be around, I really enjoyed the time I was blessed to spend with her. Although my heart is deeply broken with her loss, I am comforted in the full confidence of her faith in Jesus. I remember on the boat her mumbling quietly a little prayer right before we all did our giant stride entry into the water. I don't think she thought anyone noticed but I did. Then I saw her and Lynn snuggle with huge excited grins. She was so happy and so excited about the dive. She was not even a little bit afraid. She had cute little braids in her hair to keep the hair out of her mask and the two of them were just adorable together the way they doted over each other so lovingly.

Each day I try and think of that huge child like smile she had on her face when she saw that turtle and the huge school of butterfly fish. The conditions were pristine with very little current and the viz was at least 40 ft. There were some jelly fish in the water around us all and it looked kind of like raining lights in pink and purple hues. It really was beautiful, until...

Julie was my friend. I think of her and sweet Lynn every single day and my heart and prayers are with him and also with you. If there is anything I can do for your family please let me know.

My father is a minister with the Church of Jesus Christ -Latter Day Saints and I grew up in the Mormon faith.

I am sorry I have not been online that often to see this message sooner and just want to say thank you so much and send my love and hugs.

Lynn has my full contact details and cell phone. Please feel free to call me any time day or night.

This Sunday we will be putting down a plaque in memory of Julie on the Reef "Flower Garden" where she went to see our Lord. Her fellow class mates and I will be putting down flowers as well. I will take some pictures and send those to you if you would like.

Hugs, T

i'm so sorry!
i just picked up on this thread......
what a heart wrencher for you all!!!
my prayers are with you .
remember-laughing at times
keeps you from crying
...and no-one can see you cry underwater.
again so sorry....
yaeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom