TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - May 30 - June 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Bonaire, Guadalupe, Manatees, and more
(please scroll down for details)

Memorial Day Weekend??? I haven't decided yet if this year is flying by or crawling. It's like I've lost all sense of time . . .

BONAIRE RE-OPENS - At least in principle, since Delta & American flights don't resume until next Saturday. (And United doesn't start flying there until November, although that could change.) You'll need a COVID NAAT test going in and a PCR test to get into the U.S. on the way back. There are still some mitigation measures in place (like social distancing) but those may relax in time. But hopefully the island can get back to some sense of "new normal" and diving can resume. On the other hand, like many places in the world, having a 15-month break from an influx of divers probably means the reefs are healthier and the fish life more plentiful.

WE'RE GOING BACK TOO - We've now pushed our trip to next year, May 21-28. Details are in the newsletter which you'll get tomorrow evening.

AVALON ANYONE??? - Closer to home - 26 miles across the sea - we're going back to Avalon for one of our single-day mid-week trips on Wednesday, June 9. As usual, we'll leave out of San Pedro on the 8:45AM boat, coming back from Avalon on the 6PM boat. This gives us oodles of time to get in three dives and leaves time on the back end to hit that little deli at The Mole for a hot dog or other snack. Cost of the day is $160 and that includes boat ride, taxi to and from the Park, and tanks/airfills. (You bring the rest of th egear you need or rent it there.) We've been getting good reports of Giant Sea Bass sightings - 4 at one time over this weekend according to Gwen Severance (on her 400th dive no less) - and midweek, the Park is usually not very crowded, so it makes for a pleasant day all around. If you'd like to join us, call us at 310/652-4990.

MANATEES IN TROUBLE IN FLORIDA - Not good news coming out of the Sunshine State regarding their state marine mammal. It seems like a major die-off is happening, due to a variety of circumstances, and it could set a new record this year. There's an excellent article about this from CNN which you can read here: MANATEES ARE IN TROUBLE.

GUADALUPE ANYONE??? - Look for all the details in tomorrow's newsletter. I'm think either July or November (or maybe even both).

SHARK NAVIGATION - Maybe this is how they find their way back to Guadalupe each season. Shirley Parry sent me an interesting article that may help solve the mystery of how sharks seem to be such good navigators, returning to places like Guadalupe regularly, or finding their way out to the Great White Shark Cafe mid-Pacific, and then finding their way home again. Scientists now think they are able to use the Earth's magnetic field as a sort of GPS system. Read more about it here: HOW SHARKS NAVIGATE.

ROD FRANCIS OBITUARY - I've already told you that Rod died a few weeks ago. His Celebration of Life will be held on August 1 at 1PM in Granada Hills. I'll give you more specific info on that when we get closer. His obituary was published in the Daily News the other day and if you've like to remind yourself of his many accomplishments in life, not just scuba, click here: ROD FRANCIS OBITUARY.

ZOOM SEEKERS IN JUNE - Just a quick reminder that we're delaying this a little bit this month. Zoom Seekers will be on the THIRD Tuesday of the month, which is June 15. Our guest speaker will be California Diving News editor and top-notch photog Marty Snyderman who will give you some tips and tricks that are sure to make your pictures better. I'll send out the specific link the Sunday prior, but make plans to join us at 7:30PM on the 9th.

And that'll do it for now. Memorial Day remembers those service men & women who didn't make it home and next Sunday is the anniversary of D-Day. So if there's a veteran in your life, this might be a good time to thank them for their service.

Have a great week, get your vaccine if you haven't already, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom