jpeg TO raw conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just about anything you can do in lightroom you can do in Photoshop; you just have to know where to go. What version are you using?

Try working with "Adjustment Layers". They are an excellent way of making, non-destructive adjustments that can be edited later. “Curves” will adjust color and lighting to a degree. Hue/Saturation is another good one.

Another tool that is useful is the Shadow/Highlights filter. (Image – Adjustments – Shadow/Highlight) This tool is good for creating more contrast in your photos, but it takes some practice.

daptonema:
I've just got back from my first trip with my new underwater setup (OLY SP350 and Ikelite housing). Most of my photos were taken in JPEG as it was the first trip and I wanted to work on composition and bouyancy etc while getting some photos to send home rather than being concerned with great photos that I would spend time editing.

Sorry, the information from the RAW image is lost. It's like trying to get a copy War and Peace by running the Cliff's Notes though a translator.

You may be able to get it into the RAW format, but it won't contain what it would if you got it RAW from the camera.

Terry

Ok, so please explain a little. I always shoot in jpeg. i do not even know if my camera will shoot raw. I use a canon sd550.
the way i understand it is jpeg takes up more space and is the same res. so exactly what are the advantages of having a raw image?

Here's what Wiki says about RAW - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image

I'll tell you that RAW is much better than JPEG. There is little to NO compression. It's as close to shooting film as possible. Adjustments you make to the RAW image are saved in a seperate file, so there's no degredation of quality with multiple edits.

You can also adjust parameters that aren't available to you if you use JPEG. Granted the same adjustments CAN be made to JPEG files, it just takes a lot longer. I always shoot in RAW (or RAW + JPEG - my camera can write both at the same time) - yes the files are much larger (a 12 MP picture is 12-15 MB's) but memory is cheap and worth every penny.

There is no way (that I have heard of) to convert from JPEG to RAW.

Just as something else to think about...Adobe's Lightroom let's you do all sorts of nifty things on jpeg files. It's not RAW and the data is already gone, but I've had better luck mucking about with jpeg files in Lightroom than in PSCS2. Might be worth a look.

Beta (free) is here http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/ but I think the offer ends pretty soon...

I'm not an expert by any means, but i do have the new Adobe Photoshop CS3. It's in beta and i don't know if it's still available for download but it does what you want.

You can open jpeg as raw, do any corrections in Camera Raw including white balance then save it as jpeg or if you want you can save it as raw tif or dng. AFAIK, the CS2 version cannot do this.

Even if you can open a JPEG in a RAW editor, it will not be the same as an image shot in RAW format. A lot of data is captured about the environment the image was shot in that simply cannot be recovered once it’s saved in a compressed format (JPEG).

MrTheBrain:
Even if you can open a JPEG in a RAW editor, it will not be the same as an image shot in RAW format. A lot of data is captured about the environment the image was shot in that simply cannot be recovered once it’s saved in a compressed format (JPEG).
not to mention color data and depth. JPEG is just a "lossy" format. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom