Joining the US Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dan9125

New
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Dan and I just signed the contract to become a US Navy diver yesterday. However, I made that decision in haste and now I want to back out. I tried calling my recruiter but he refused to give me an answer even though I'm not supposed to enter the field till April of 2007. Does anyone know what I can do? Is there any way I can back out or is it too late? I am in anguish and I would really appreciate any help.

dan9125:
Hi, my name is Dan and I just signed the contract to become a US Navy diver yesterday. However, I made that decision in haste and now I want to back out. I tried calling my recruiter but he refused to give me an answer even though I'm not supposed to enter the field till April of 2007. Does anyone know what I can do? Is there any way I can back out or is it too late? I am in anguish and I would really appreciate any help.
You want out of the Navy or the dive program?

If it's the Navy you want out of you might have a problem unless you slip your commanding officer a date rape drug and violate him. :no

If you want out of the diving program that’s easy. Fail the training and that can be anytime from day one to graduation day.

Get a hold of your recruiters CO and see what he can do.

It’s a good program BUT YOU HAVE to have your head and heart into it or you will just waste every ones time.

Gary D.

You got to be very careful when you put your name on anything. Contracts are just as legally binding as any law. IE: You'll get your butt thrown in jail and left there for shooting somebody. And you can get your butt thrown in jail and left there for not fulfilling a legally binding contract. Oh, and pretty much any contract with your name on it is legally binding.

Good luck with it though, hopefully you can get things worked out. In the future, follow the advice my parents gave me when I was a kid and suddenly wanted to spend all of my money on this or that toy: "sleep on it, and if you decide tomorrow that you still want it, we can come back and get it." Just going to sleep can save you from a mell of a hess!

dan9125:

You need to discuss this issue with your recruiter or with a lawyer, maybe both. This isn't something that you are going to find a good answer for on a scuba diving board

Cheers

First, let me start by saying that I wish I hadn't backed out, but here is how I got out of my enlistment. I realize not everyone can do this, but it's worth a shot if you really want out of the Navy. I enlisted the day I turned 18. 2 weeks before I was to ship off to boot camp I was approved for an Navy ROTC scholarship. After my first year a couple of things happened in my life and I no longer thought the Navy was the right place for me. I dropped out of ROTC and got a year of free college. There was a brief mention that if the Captain was in a bad mood he might still ship my *** out, but after that I was done with the Navy. Is there another way to get out of your enlistment, I believe so. One of the officer candidates (an enlisted sailor who goes back to college while on active duty) who I had classes with told me there is a way for people in DEP (delayed entry program) to get out of it, but I have since forgotten. The Navy is not that bad of a job and like I said, I wish I would have stayed in. Good luck on your tough decision.

Most states have a 3 day grace period that you can back out of any contract. At least NC does.

Brent

I have served in the military and I have to say.. It taught me a lot. However, I had the luxury of choosing to sign up on a mission-to-mission basis and wouldnt be sent somewhere I didnt want to go, other than for training..

dan9125:
Does anyone know what I can do?
What do you want to do?
Rick

I would have loved for this opportunity at your age, looking back now. I spent 6 years of my life proudly serving in the USMC Reserve. And I kicked myself everyday for not going active duty. I do not regret my decision to serve in ANY way, but I would have changed a few things about the way I served. I love my country, I love my Corps, I am proud to say I have served.

That being said, let me say this. First off, service is still voluntary. There is no draft. Recruiters are the only way the military has to bring in new people. I personally feel that if you don't want to join, I don't want you there. So, I will tell you this: You can get out of joining up until the point you say your oath at basic training. I could have steped off the plane in San Diego, and said, "nevermind" and they gotta get me home. Go to your recruiter, and tell him to tear up the "contract". It is not binding, they do not own your @$$. Don't let him feed you any crap. He's not going to be happy, and he's gonna try and twist you this way and that. That's his job, it's not personal.

I would hope you wouldn't have made such a rash decision. I hope your change of heart will not be regreted down the road. If you balk out now, you might not be able to change your mind back. I don't know. All I do know is that you can get out anytime up untill that final oath.

Take this Thanksgiving weekend and think long and hard about it. I don't want you to defend my freedom half-assed. You can get out, but do you really want to?

I hope this helps.
-Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom