Jocassee Graveyard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I dove the Graveyard at Lake Jocassee this weekend. VERY cool!

mike_s:
can you tell us more about it? (was it an actual graveyard?)

I'm assuming the graves have been removed before the lake was flooded? (right?)
It is an actual graveyard. There are several headstones and markers. I showed 139 ffw on my computer as the max depth. My buddy had 141' on his gauge (he knelt on the bottom at one point). I think 51F was the temp at the bottom. You don't get a whole lot of NDL time down there, so I'd like to go back and check it out again. In fact, two of us over stayed our bottom time by a minute or two. I only showed a 10ft ceiling for 1 minute, but my computer cleared out by 50ft and the other computer with an obligation cleared by our safety stop. The third diver was on EAN28 and didn't go into deco.

All I know about the site is what I've been told and what appears on http://www.offthewalldiving.com/2.html :
Graveyard-- As seen in the movie Deliverance. This site is located on the open body of the lake and is in 138 feet of water. It was the old Mount Carmel Church graveyard. The church was moved out of the valley before the lake was filled. Most of the graves were exhumed and relocated to another site. There are several markers that were left behind, as well as some of the curbs that once surrounded the plots. This is considered to be a technical dive beyond normal sport diving ranges. It has very good visibility, but it can be a little chilly.

QUETZAL:
Nice report. I had 27% in my tank and pony Sunday looking to do the same dive but my buddy couldn't go. I look forward to doing it soon.

Allen,

What's up with your Texas avatar???

That's hysterical! I'm in the same situation (running from an ex) that's why I relocated to TN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom