Jocassee Dives instead of Lanier - 3/26/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corigan

Contributor
Reaction score
I believe Kyle and I are going to head up to Jocassee and get a dive or two in this Saturday instead of Lanier. Right now it looks like the weather is going to be the same at both lanier and jocassee so I might as well chance it at jocassee. Possible t-showers (thunder and showers, not storms) 30% chance. I say It will be a nice day, looks like in the high 60's. Anybody interested in coming out to Jocassee? It was only $2 to get into devil's fork state park to dive. That is per carload. Depths of 100'+ right off the boat dock with guidelines and platforms at 100' and 30'. Also bouyancy/navigation courses, as well as some stuff sunk underwater. Usually great Viz and the temps are much like lanier (48F at 140' last weekend at the graveyard). Can also get fills down the road at off the wall charters. Let us know if anybody feels like coming on out to jocassee instead of Lanier this weekend. Kyle and I are both going to be experimenting with henderson dry gloves with seals, and hope they keep our hands warmer than traditional gloves.

Matt

Sounds good!!!
I'll get back to ya tomorrow.

the K

It was only $2 to get into devil's fork state park to dive. That is per carload.
Matt[/QUOTE]

It is supposed to be $2.00 per person but hardly anyone observes the fee because it is on the honor system. I might be out there Sat., so maybe I'll see you guys.

dolphinfan:
It is supposed to be $2.00 per person but hardly anyone observes the fee because it is on the honor system. I might be out there Sat., so maybe I'll see you guys.
Laugh, maybe I did pay $4 last time and I forgot, it has been awhile since I have been up that way. Thanks for the info. Hopefully we will see you up there.

Mat

Sounds like fun to me. Could someone please send me directions and when we all plan on meeting up? I think I could probably make it.

Thanks Jeremy

JKSteger:
Sounds like fun to me. Could someone please send me directions and when we all plan on meeting up? I think I could probably make it.

Thanks Jeremy
I was going to try to be up there around 9AM. Which means an early start for me on Saturday, but I would like to be back in town around 4 o'clock or so. I plan on just trying to pull 2 dives while I am up there. Here is a link to the page talking about the park:

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/stateparks/parkdetail.asp?PID=1355

Taken from that page: From I-85: Exit 1 to Hwy 11 N. Take Hwy. 11 for approx 40 miles, turn left on Lake Jocassee Rd, and travel 3 mi.

That is the way to take. Exit one is a nice scenic highway, and the views are spectacular on the drive up there. A little more detail about the park: When you get to the park before you get to the main pavillion/entrance there is a road off to the left. This is the road you want to take. It will go past the box that you enter your money into (honor system like stated above). You will then go past a picnic area. You will go past a ranger house on the left and then it comes to a fork. Stay left to not go into the camping area. At the next fork take a right and it will follow it's way down to the boat ramp. If you take a left you will follow it around to another boat ramp, but it's not the right one. You will see me there at the proper ramp. Another note, cell phones don't work up there. It really is in the mountains. I have attached a map pdf to the bottom of this that shows the lay-out of the park. It is in the area that says to day-use boat ramps and shows an area. It isn't on the map but it's there. :) It's not that hard to find, I found it by just wandering around last time I was up there. Hope to see you all up there,

Matt

Matt,
Looks like the weather is going to crap out so I'm taking Linda over to the pool to work on some trim issues and hopefully dropping 4 pounds.
Hope you guys have a safe trip and safe ascents.

the K

The Kraken:
Matt,
Looks like the weather is going to crap out so I'm taking Linda over to the pool to work on some trim issues and hopefully dropping 4 pounds.
Hope you guys have a safe trip and safe ascents.
the K
Which pool? I wasn't aware of any pools for diving (or that allow scuba at all) in the Atlanta area (mostly because I haven't looked). Is it public?

I would love to work on skills in a pool since I never seem to have time to make the 5 hour trip to the springs area except to see family.

Sea Ventures on Holcombe Bridge Road.
It's $50 a year to join their little club, but it entitles you to use the pool anytime you want and reduced tank rentals ($5) and free air fills. As much diving as we all do, it's a very worthwhile investment.

QUOTE:[Which pool? I wasn't aware of any pools for diving (or that allow scuba at all) in the Atlanta area (mostly because I haven't looked). Is it public?

I would love to work on skills in a pool since I never seem to have time to make the 5 hour trip to the springs area except to see family]

Im a member at sea ventures too. I bought a scuba package deal there and got the membership free. Its a good membership, you also get 5% discount on all merch. in the store, free tanks when your at the pool, 1/2 price tank rentals, free fills, and a lot more. The thing about the pool is you have to call ahead because they hold swim class sometimes. All in all it is a good deal. The people are really nice there too. Go check them out you wont be disapointed.

Also you dont have to drive 5 hours to dive,come to lanier its alot closer.

kyle

Back
Top Bottom