JJ CCR Scrubber Radial? vs Axial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The good news is that AP did a lot of testing before finalizing production of the inspiration, and they reportedly found that axial scruubers that have an insulating air gap beteen it and the outer canister (to keep the scrubber warm) already do so well, that many manufacturers don't feel the need for that extra performance.

But let's keep the thread going, I am curious to hear more about the differences.

To confirm what others said: I have the standard scrubber and one thing you may have considered is that it is common to do about 2h of diving in a day.

You are likely to throw away that sorb and pack a new scrubber for the next day diving.

If you had a different and bigger scrubber you’d just throw away more sorb. I am only a newly minted MOD1 but I think you can’t keep a used scrubber for too long either … something something with it drying out when outside the box? (Correct me if I am wrong)

I also asked when I ordered my JJ the same question.

To confirm what others said: I have the standard scrubber and one thing you may have considered is that it is common to do about 2h of diving in a day.

You are likely to throw away that sorb and pack a new scrubber for the next day diving.

If you had a different and bigger scrubber you’d just throw away more sorb. I am only a newly minted MOD1 but I think you can’t keep a used scrubber for too long either … something something with it drying out when outside the box? (Correct me if I am wrong)

Put the used scrubber (edit the whole thing, don't dump the loose sorb out) in a plastic bag and it definitely keeps for about a month. Longer if you are feeling like rolling the dice :) Storage of partly used closed-circuit rebreather carbon dioxide absorbent canisters

If you plan on a big dive or uncertain where the charter is headed and might get longer divers it's probably best to bin it.

Just to clarify a point, used sorb can be stored and continued to be used as long as it is not removed from the scrubber. Once you pour it out of the scrubber, it is 100% garbage. You cannot pick out the good from the used sorb, so you must treat it as all used.

Just wasteful to throw away sorb after a day of diving if only used for a couple of hours (depending on overall scrubber duration of course). As others have said, left packed and sealed in the scrubber it lasts for quite a 'long' time.

But when you say "outside the box", do you mean A) once outside the sorbs original container, or B) you mean 'unpack" the scrubber? If A see above, if B then as others have said, you never unpack used sorb from scrubber to use again. Never (IMO anyway).

@LanceRiley - When do you think you'll be doing your MOD1? A huge number of your questions and thoughts will be answered during that.

Afterwards it's a slow progression working on your skills and adding new things.

The biggest tip someone gave me was "it's the ascents that count". It's so different from OC as so much is going on with the unit. Add to that some lightweight deco, then more deco, it gets fun. Eventually your buoyancy control will return.

Then you'll have your big moment when the unit tries to kill you because of complacency. That's fun and a massive learning opportunity!
still working on the funds.. the big hurdle is the unit cost. if i can order it on january. i should have the unit in 3 weeks? for a february class.

excited to know how this will go... although my instructor offered to lend me his spare unit for a class .... i just wana wait on mine. i don't wana damage it somewhere somehow practicing.

thanks for the inputs.

Just wasteful to throw away sorb after a day of diving if only used for a couple of hours (depending on overall scrubber duration of course). As others have said, left packed and sealed in the scrubber it lasts for quite a 'long' time.

But when you say "outside the box", do you mean A) once outside the sorbs original container, or B) you mean 'unpack" the scrubber? If A see above, if B then as others have said, you never unpack used sorb from scrubber to use again. Never (IMO anyway).
I meant A.

Since the specs says 180 minutes and I have no other choices between diving days of 120 minutes? Unless I plan to calculate by how far I can deviate from the specs by measuring things O2 used and other factors that deviated from testing?

Did you mean to use the quantity of O2 used a proxy to see how much time you may have left from an used scrubber?

Or did you mean if I had a bigger scrubber I could use for two days of 120 minutes diving?

@LanceRiley, just saw your post about ordering: IMHO you should contact the retailer through which you will order to get an exact ETA. When I ordered, I got my unit delivered quickly in a few weeks in October but I only received my cylinders a week ago or so, because they had supply issues with cylinders at the time … (had to borrow a friend’s cylinders in the meantime)

I meant A.

Since the specs says 180 minutes and I have no other choices between diving days of 120 minutes? Unless I plan to calculate by how far I can deviate from the specs by measuring things O2 used and other factors that deviated from testing?
Correct. Then by all means dump it.
Did you mean to use the quantity of O2 used a proxy to see how much time you may have left from an used scrubber?

Or did you mean if I had a bigger scrubber I could use for two days of 120 minutes diving?
I meant a bigger / longer duration scrubber. For instance, mine had 10-12hrs.

I o
I meant A.

@LanceRiley, just saw your post about ordering: IMHO you should contact the retailer through which you will order to get an exact ETA. When I ordered, I got my unit delivered quickly in a few weeks in October but I only received my cylinders a week ago or so, because they had supply issues with cylinders at the time … (had to borrow a friend’s cylinders in the meantime)
i will order thru the instructor… his channel is way faster. He has a unit and class approximately 1x a month or 1 class in 2 months…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom